Contact information for Application Submissions
The College of Graduate Studies
Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Upstate Medical University
766 Irving Avenue
1213 Weiskotten Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210
Telephone: (315) 464-4570 or Toll Free at 1-866-951-5718
All Ph.D. and Masters applicants should have:
- Students who wish to pursue a PhD must complete a bachelor's degree, preferably in the sciences, before beginning graduate school OR will have completed the following coursework :
- Biology, 1 year
- Mathematics, 1 year
- Chemistry, 1 year
- Physics, 1 year
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores recommended but not required. The institutional code is 2547.
- Please note that it may take roughly 10-14 days for electronic GRE scores to be uploaded once the request has been made through ETS.
- The average GPA for the incoming Fall 2020 class is 3.5 and the average cumulative GRE is 313; however, we holistically review applications with a wide range of scores and GPAs.
- You may upload digital versions of official or unofficial transcripts to your application. Official transcripts are required for applicants who have accepted offers of admission.
- Students who are accepted and have attended colleges or universities outside of the United States and Canada will be required to provide an official credential evaluation for international degrees.
- For all transcripts that are not in English, please upload a translated copy with the original.
*If the issuing university is unable to provide an English translation, please submit the transcript to a verifying authority such as an education ministry, a translation service, or a NACES-member transcript evaluation service.
- Three original letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic record and potential for investigative research are required. Letters must be uploaded by the person writing the letter of recommendation via the online reference portal. Instructions on how to submit the letter will be sent directly to the letter writer. Both you and the recommender will receive a confirmation email once a letter has been submitted to the online application.
Candidates for admission are selected on the basis of their record and qualifications for independent scholarship in a specialized field of study. Competitive applicants will have completed prior research experience.
The College of Graduate Studies application fee is $40.00. Applicants will be sent the link to pay the application upon submission of the application. Please note this fee can take a few days to process. If requesting a fee waiver, please do so in writing to email@example.com.
- You may upload digital versions of unofficial transcripts to complete your application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended within the US and Canada.
- Official course-by-course with GPA credential evaluation issued by a NACES-member transcript evaluation service are required only for applicants who have accepted offers of admission
- An official copy of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required.
To hear from current, international students in the Biomedical Sciences PhD or Master's programs, please visit our Global Ambassadors Page to speak with one of the SUNY Upstate College of Graduate Studies Global Ambassadors.
If you have previously applied to the College of Graduate Studies and were denied admission, you are welcome to reapply.
You may create a new application using the same account as last year, much of your information will automatically carry over (including valid test scores and uploaded transcripts).
You are encouraged to upload:
- An updated resume
- Updated personal statement with additional information describing growth or additional research experience since last your last application.
- Three original letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic record and potential for investigative research. In the online application, you are required to submit names and email addresses of persons willing to write letters of recommendation appraising your potential to succeed in the program to which you are applying. The application system will email online submission instructions to recommenders. Both you and the recommender will receive a confirmation email once a letter has been submitted to the online application.
- New transcript only if additional courses were taken since last application.
- Any new or additional questions to answer as you review your application before submission.
Only GRE's taken within the last 5 years are acceptable.
If you are interested in reapplying, you are strongly encouraged to make a post-advisement appointment over the summer prior to the new academic year. To schedule an appointment, please visit: https://engage.upstate.edu/portal/gabriela.
See our Frequently Asked Questions regarding Admissions, Stipends, etc.