Residency Geriatric Rotation
Training in geriatric medicine is an important skill set for all internists. The demographic changes in this country require all internists to attain a minimum level of competency in managing the complex medical problems of older adults. Internists must understand the relationship between normal aging and disease, as well as the changes in physical and cognitive function that often accompany the aging process. Residents learn geriatrics from core conferences, grand rounds, mandatory resident geriatrics rotations and hospital based geriatrics consults.
All residents rotating in the Ambulatory and Inpatient clinic are expected to attend weekly Geri Grand Rounds and Monthly ECHO sessions.
Ambulatory Care Rotation
Residents will rotate through our ambulatory geriatric practice, University Geriatricians the clinical site for the Center of Excellence for Alzheimer's Disease. Second and Third Year Residents will gain experience in the following:
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine at Hospice of CNY
- Geriatric Emergency Medicine at our Community General Hospital location
- Evaluation of patients with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias
- Evaluation of the Medically Complex Older Adult
- Ongoing Health Maintenance of the Older Adult Population
- Experience in working with an Interdisciplinary team consisting of Social Workers, NP's, and Nurses
- Experience in ongoing care planning with patients and families
- Pre and Post Geriatric Knowledge and Skills assessment
- Online learning opportunities using out Aquifer Geriatrics Learning Modules
Residents will spend a minimum of two weeks rotating through our inpatient service on our Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) Team. First, Second, and Third Year Residents will gain experience in the following:
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary consult service
- Participation in Care Planning, Discharge Planning, and Hospice meetings
- Daily Rounds with NP’s and Attendings
- Experience in the treatment of delirium in the hospitalized older adult
- Experience in the risk reduction of falls in the hospitalized older adult
At the end of the rotation the attending will do a summative evaluation.