Time Off Policy
Per ACGME and ABIM policy, fellows are allowed a total of 20 days off per academic year (this includes interview time, vacation time, and sick time); unused time-off can not be carried over to the following year (i.e. you must use your annual allotment of 20 days). Anytime beyond 20 days must be made up (i.e. training time must be extended which means that your residency end date will be after June 30th of your final year; extending your training means that your fellowship or employment start date will be delayed beyond July 1st) in order for you to be eligible for the ABIM Certifying Exam. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Vacation days must be taken within the academic year with no more than 2 weeks requested at a time. The only time this is overruled is when the request is approved by the Fellowship Director or Department Chair. Time off is per the Department of Geriatrics policy. The amount of time that may be taken and is equal to 20 days. All 20 days must be taken over the course of an academic year and cannot be carried over to the next academic year.
- Vacation time does not carry over to the next academic year
- No more than 1 fellows can be on vacation at any time
- All vacation requests must be submitted in writing to the Program Coordinator at least 6 weeks in advance
- Fellows must coordinate time off with each other in order to avoid overlap