How You Can Help Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect
Teach Your Children What Sexual Abuse Is
Let them know they can trust you and that you will not be angry with them if they tell you.
Help Other Parents
Seek out a friend, neighbor or relative whose life is stressful and who might welcome a helping hand.
- Call or write your elected officials
- Ask them to support increased funding for child abuse prevention, intervention and treatment programs
- Contact your local school district, community college, local library and religious leaders
- Encourage them to sponsor classes and support programs for new parents
- Volunteer at a local child abuse prevention program or child advocacy site
- Reach out to kids and parents in your community
Anything you do to support kids and parents in your family and extended community helps to reduce the likelihood of child abuse and neglect.
If you have reason to believe a child has been or may be harmed
Call your local department of child and family services or your local police department
It is difficult for parents to stop abuse without help from experts.
The situation is best handled by law enforcement, child protective services and other agencies working closely with medical practitioners who specialize in the detection of child abuse.If you're from the Central New York Area and you suspect child abuse
- New York State 800 342-3720
- Onondaga County 315 422-9701
- CARE 315 883-5617
- Prevent Child Abuse America
- Darkness to Light