Child Life Student Opportunities
If you have questions regarding programs on this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Life Student Aide
For one semester, child life student aides will provide developmentally appropriate play opportunities to patients at the bedside and in the playroom under the supervision of a certified child life specialist. Student aides will also be responsible for managing and cleaning play materials, choosing developmentally appropriate toys and activities, and reporting to a certified child life specialist. Student aides will be required to complete 50 hours over the course of one semester. The position is unpaid but students will receive credit for volunteer hours.
- Fall semester placement – July 1
- Spring semester placement – December 1
- Summer semester placement – April 1
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student
- Have completed a minimum of one college level course in child development
- Commit to completing 50 hours over the course of one semester
- Commit to completing a minimum of one 4-hour shift per week
- Have reliable transportation and/or the ability to pay for parking in the hospital garage
- Complete all necessary paperwork required by Upstate Medical University for student placement, including health paperwork and clearance
- Complete Student Aide orientation
Child Life Practicum
This entry-level training, offered three times a year, is intended to introduce the undergraduate student to child life as well as the variety of experiences facing children and adolescents in a healthcare setting. A certified child life specialist (CCLS) will supervise the student as he or she participates in individual and group activities with children and families.
More information & application
QualificationsPracticum students must have completed core curriculum, including child development course work, and must have demonstrated successful experiences with children. Child Life students must have taken Intro to Child Life course and completed a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer work within a Child Life program. This type of training is highly recommended for those students considering a career a child life specialist. Practicum students must complete 10 hours per week for a minimum of 100 total hours.
- Please submit completed application along with your resume and cover letter.
- Applications should be sent to:
Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital
Child Life Student Program
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Application for practicum training requires submission of a completed application as well as an interview.
Application is not a guarantee of acceptance. Due to the expectation that we provide students with quality supervision and education during placement, a limited number of students are accepted per semester. Should you have any further questions, please contact the Child Life Program.