Child Life Fellowship
Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital
Location: One Children's Circle, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315 464-7533
Fax: 315 464-1973
We are not accepting applicants for 2018-2019 placement.
Check back in the Spring of 2019 to apply for 2019-2020 placement.
If you want to devote your career to helping meet the needs of pediatric patients, the Child Life Program is committed to providing quality education and training for future child life professionals.
The fellowship is awarded to individuals who are committed to career development in child life, have attained a Bachelor's degree in Child Life or related field and completed a child life internship of 600 hours or more under the direct supervision of a certified child life specialist.
You will receive experience, training and supervision in all facets of our Child Life Program. As a fellow, you will receive a stipend plus benefits for a full-time, 12-month (40 hours per week) placement.
You will also be a member of the health care team and attend psychosocial conferences as well as gain administrative experience by supervising volunteers and being involved in continuing education opportunities.
Clinical rotations for the fellowship position will be established after your interests and current department needs and staffing are evaluated.
Among the skills you will build are
- Charting patient's progress in medical records
- Assessing children's development
- Assessing children as the basis for planning child life interventions
- Evaluating self-performance and programming
- Preparing children for hospitalization, surgery and procedures
- Supervising playroom and special events
- Assessing environments
- Working with patients and families from diverse backgrounds
To be considered for the Child Life Fellowship you must:
- Be committed to career development in child life
- Have obtained a Bachelors degree
- Have completed a 480 hour or more child life internship under the direct supervision of a certified child life specialist
Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital has a history of providing extraordinary patient care to children. Many of our programs receive local recognition. Among the benefits of continuing your education at Upstate Golisano are:
- A monthly stipend plus health benefits
- Educational materials (books, papers, pamphlets, etc.)
- The opportunity to learn from experienced child life specialists
How to apply
Fellowship applications are reviewed in June of each year, and interviews take place during late June or July. To begin your application, please download and complete the fellowship application form , and submit with the items noted below in one envelope and send via U.S. mail or FedEx to:
Margaret Nellis, CCLS
Child Life Program Manager
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
- Current transcripts
- Two letters of reference
- one from an academic professor
- one from the internship supervisor
- A completed fellowship application
- A current resume
- A 300 to 500 word essay, describing the ways in which the work of a child life specialist contributes to the health care experience of children and their families
The annual deadline to apply is June 1st (application must be postmarked by this date).
If selected, you will be contacted between June 15 and July 15 regarding an interview.
Candidates selected to interview will be required to come in person for the interview, which will include a traditional interview as well as a practical component, which will take up to 3 hours.
The fellowship year begins in September.
Due to the large number of applicants, we are unable to confirm receipt of documents. If you require verification of receipt, please arrange for delivery confirmation from the post office or delivery service you choose.