Child Life Practicum Application Form
The child life practicum is an 8-week, entry-level training offered three times a year; at the beginning of the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Practicum students are required to complete 2, 6-hour days/week totaling 100 hours. The practicum is intended to introduce the undergraduate or graduate student to the field of child life through observation and supervised participation. Practicum students will observe a variety of experiences facing children and adolescents in a healthcare setting. A Certified Child Life Specialist will supervise the student as they participate in individual and group activities with children and families. Students will be required to complete weekly journals, readings, and assignments.
- Have completed a minimum of 50 hours working with children (paid or unpaid), with a minimum of 25 hours being with children in a medical or hospital setting
- Be enrolled in or have completed an Introduction to Child Life college level course or its equivalent
- Be enrolled in or have completed a child development college level course or its equivalent
- Have had successful experiences working with children and families, either paid or unpaid
- Be affiliated or enrolled in an academic program (we are unable to accept unaffiliated or independent students)
Please note: application is not a guarantee of acceptance. Due to the expectation that we provide students with quality supervision and education during placement, a limited number of students are accepted per semester. Should you have any questions, please contact the Student Placement Coordinator.