Dr. Julius B. Richmond, a pediatrician whose work on cognitive development in poor children led to his being the first national director of Project Head Start.
The Department of Pediatrics has had a long- standing commitment to medical education and residency training. Our program received its original accreditation on 2/1/1937 making us over 80 years young! The first full time Chair of the Department, Dr. Julius B Richmond, recruited an outstanding faculty during the years of his tenure (from 1953 to 1970). Early emphasis was on learning about the care of children in the context of their developmental level.
Subspecialty training was enhanced during the tenure of Dr. Frank Oski (from 1972 to 1984) with the recruitment of Pediatric specialists in Hematology, Pulmonary Disease, Infectious Diseases, and Neonatology. A dedicated Pediatric Intensive Care Unit was built during this period which serves as the only such unit in the entire region.
Continued expansion of the department took place in the subsequent decade under the chairmanships of Drs. Warren Grupe and Howard Weinberger with continued emphasis on ensuring that our residents have the best possible training in General Pediatrics, regardless of their future plans. Initial discussions took place in the community to develop a Children's Hospital during that period.
In 2009, Golisano Children's Hospital at University Hospital opened its doors under the chairmanship of Dr. Thomas Welch. This new facility consolidated in one setting all inpatient services for children in CNY and now provides an ideal site for medical education. Dr. Ann Botash became our interim chair in 2018 after Dr. Welch retired.