Balancing Work and Resident Life
Residents have the opportunity to participate in many activities that would include:
- Work-life balance discussions
- Art classes
- Resilience building
- Prevention of burn-out
- Self-care and Meditation sessions
Residents also have access to various resources on wellness (such as the Upstate institutionally supported ENI NexGen, an EAP service for residents). ENI NexGen offers wellness goal setting, action plans, certified health coaching and various discounts.
Syracuse: The Heart of New York
Visitors to Syracuse, New York are often surprised to find the conveniences of a big city and the comforts of a small town. Syracuse offers an enviable combination of outstanding quality of life and affordable living. Our residency programs put you in the heart of New York's fourth largest city.
Our campus is adjacent to Syracuse University and is part of the dynamic hub known as University Hill. Our practice sites are just four blocks from downtown Syracuse, which offers a rich cultural life including an opera company, professional theater, several museums and the historic Armory Square district with many fine restaurants and unique shops.
With four distinct seasons, recreational opportunities abound. Many lakes, parks and golf courses are within a few minutes of Syracuse. Within an hour's drive are Lake Ontario, the Finger Lakes region (producing world famous wines), the Thousand Islands, and Adirondack Mountain vacation areas. New York City and Toronto are just four hours away by car, or little more than an hour by nonstop commercial flights.
Activities, attractions and amenities include:
- Football and basketball games at the Carrier Dome at Syracuse University
- Theatrical and music performances in Syracuse including Broadway shows
- Festivals with live music, art, food, theater and various community events in all seasons
- State parks, lakes and beaches
- Diverse dining options, and many local craft breweries and wineries
- Affordable housing within walking distance from the hospitals
- Many child care options.
- Family friendly environment and excellent schools