[Skip to Content]

Residency Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

How do I find your program?

All applicants must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS).

Selection of residents is determined through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).

Program Name: SUNY Upstate Medical University Program

Program Code: 1516120C0

What's the application deadline?

The application deadline is January 1, 2020.

Does your program accept International Medical Graduates (IMG's)?

Yes, qualified International Medical Graduates are encouraged to apply.

What qualifications do I need to apply?

  • Graduates of medical schools in the United States or Canada must have attended a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
  • Graduates of U.S. colleges of osteopathic medicine must have attended a medical school accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
  • Graduates of medical school outside the United States and Canada must have a current valid ECFMG Certificate and passing grade in the CSA examination from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. *Being ECFMG Certificate "eligible" pending Medical School Diploma will suffice.

What USMLE scores do I need to be considered?

We require a passing score on USMLE step 1, 2CK and 2CS examination.

How many resident positions are there?

There are 6 residency positions per year.

What is the application deadline for the Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health (CASPH)?

Online application must be completed prior to the beginning of the PGY-1 year.

When does the Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health (CASPH) program begin?

Residents who are admitted to the program will start CASPH in the spring of their PGY-1 year.

Do you require a valid ECFMG Certificate?

Yes. A valid ECFMG Certificate is required prior to starting residency. 

Being ECFMG Certificate "eligible" pending Medical School Diploma will suffice to apply.

What type of visa is offered?

We will sponsor J1 visa

Do you require US Clinical Experience?

US clinical experience is preferred; however, it is not mandatory.

How do I verify residency or fellowship training?

Training verifications are handled by SUNY Upstate's Graduate Medical Education office

Do I need to sign up for US Selective Service for this residency?

Almost all male U.S. citizens and male immigrants, who are 18 through 25, are required to register with US Selective Service. This is a prerequisite to work at any Federal Facility including the Veteran Affairs Medical Centers. It is mandatory for all male candidates who are US Citizens and immigrants (Immigrated to US before they turned 26) to sign up for US Selective Service.

For more details, visit: Selective Service System.