How to Apply
All applicants must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS). Selection of residents is determined through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Due to COVID-19 and the social distancing requirements, interviews for the 2022-2023 academic year will be held virtually. Interviews will begin in November 2021 and run through January 2022.
Program Name: SUNY Upstate Medical University Program
Program Code: 1516120C0
ERAS website for US and Canadian applicants:
ECFMG-ERAS program website for foreign medical graduates:
The Upstate Medical University Family Medicine Residency Program is looking for well-rounded applicants that can demonstrate a commitment not only to clinical excellence but also to scholastic inquiry, leadership and research. Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Your application must include:
- USMLE scores
- U.S. clinical experience, if applicable
- Dean’s Letter
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
In addition, the following must be met.
- Graduation from medical school with continued primary care experience during any intervening years is required.
- International medical school graduate please note – we require ECFMG certification or eligibility to include passing Steps 1 and 2 CS & CK of the USMLE. This is a NRMP requirement for match participation.
- Three letters of recommendation in addition to the MSPE (Dean's letter). Applicants with previous residency experience should include a letter from th e residency program director.
- We are able to support only J1 visas.
Each year, there are 6 residency positions. We are accepting applications only for PGY1 year.
To address any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (315)-492-3429.