American Rescue ACT Special Circumstance
Students with documented special circumstances that negatively affect you and your family's financial situation may be eligible for an adjustment of their financial aid offer.
If your family has experienced a change in income due to unusual, special circumstances, our office has the authority and U.S. Department of Education guided flexibility to re-evaluate your situation for the following reasons:
- Loss of job
- Permanent/indefinite reduction of work hours
- Separation or divorce
- Personal bankruptcy that occurs during the current financial aid year
- Death of an immediate member of your family
- Reduction/loss of child support
- High non-reimbursed medical expenses
- One-time pension/retirement withdrawals to help cover expenses
- Other documented special circumstances beyond the student’s control
If you would like to apply for an American Rescue ACT Special Circumstance, download and complete the Appeal Form.
Completed forms and supporting documentation can be securely uploaded to your MyUpstate account in the outstanding tasks section. Once a student submits their special circumstance documentation, a decision notification will arrive within 10-15 business days.
Special Circumstances Appeal decisions are at the discretion of SUNY Upstate Medical University based on guidance provided by the U.S. Department of Education. Each appeal is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and all decisions are final. We are compelled to make every effort to assist students in need.