Applying for Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Application Process is simple, just follow these easy steps:
1. Complete the FAFSA Application
The FAFSA is available October 1st for the upcoming academic year. DO NOT wait for an admission decision to complete your FAFSA.
- Upstate FAFSA school code: 002840
- Fall start priority deadline is March 1st
- Spring start priority deadline is November 1st
2. Complete the NYS Payment Application (Undergraduate Students Only)
Undergraduate New York State residents can apply for grant funding from New York State. The state application is available only after the FAFSA has been completed. There is a direct link on the FAFSA confirmation page to start the state application. If you miss the link, you will need to wait until your FAFSA has been processed before you can complete a NYS Payment Application.
Those who complete the application will be considered for TAP (NYS Tuition Assistance Program). Students who have applied for the Excelsior Scholarship must also complete a NYS Payment Application every academic year.
3. Apply for Scholarships
Scholarships come in all shapes and sizes. We encourage students searching for scholarships and grants to start their search small and then broaden it strategically.
Commonly Overlooked Scholarship and Grant Applications
- Your hometown: Check local organizations such as Lions Club, Kiwanis Club, Homeowners Associations, places of worship, faith based organizations, grocery stores, parents' place of employment, etc.
- Your County: Search for county associations that are specific to your career path
- Your State: Statewide associations or societies can offer scholarships and grants, search for ones related to your career path
- Your Nation: Review nationally recognized associations or societies for scholarship and grant opportunities
SUNY Upstate Medical University Scholarships
At Upstate, incoming applicants are reviewed for scholarship consideration upon admission. For continuing students, more information about scholarships can be found on our Scholarships page
4. Review Financial Aid Offer Letter:
Once your application has been processed, students will receive an email to review their offer in their MyUpstate account. Students can accept or decline the funding offered directly in MyUpstate. Financial Aid offers are generally available no later than the end of March for incoming students.