[Skip to Content]

Medical Record FAQs for Patients

Click on a question to reveal the answer.

Expand all

How do I obtain a copy of my medical record?

By Mail: Download the following forms

Authorization for Release of Health Information Pursuant to HIPAA

Instructions for Authorization for Release of Health Information Pursuant to HIPAA

Complete the form and mail it to:
Downtown HIM - Release of Information Services
Upstate Medical University Hospital Downtown Campus
Room 1211
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Community Campus HIM
Upstate Medical University Hospital Community Campus
Room 1372
4900 Broad Road
Syracuse, NY 13215

In Person: Go to Room 1211, on the 1st floor of University Hospital or Rm 1372 at Community Campus.

How long does it take to receive copies of my medical records?

Usually one to three weeks.

When did the records go out and how were they sent?

Release of Information Services Downtown (315-464-7832) or Community Campus (315-492-5565) can let you know the date the records were sent. If you did not receive your records in a timely manner, please call 315-464-7832 or 492-5565 for assistance.

There is wrong information in my personal medical record. How can I correct this?

Write a letter to the Upstate Privacy Office specifying what information you feel is incorrect. The physician will then be contacted and if he/she feels it should be changed, an addendum will be completed.

Upstate Privacy Office
Galleries of Syracuse
Room 532B
441 S. Salina St.
Syracuse, NY 13202

As a patient, how can I ensure medical records from my previous care provider get to my new physician?

Ask your new physician to contact University Hospital in care of the clinic you were treated at to receive a copy of your medical records.

Where may I call to check on the status of a medical records request?

Please call Downtown 315 464-7832 or at Community Campus 315 492-5565.

I am from a nursing unit and I need a copy of a patient's health care proxy or the patient wants a copy of his/her Health Care Proxy. Where should I call?

Call the File Room at Downtown 464-5150 or at Community Campus 492-5565 and they will fax the HCP to the unit or send a copy to the patient.