Faculty Educator Development Steering Committee
Committee ChairJoe Stein, PhD, Pharmacology
Committee SupportMichele Henderson
Office of Faculty Affairs & Development
Room 1254, Weiskotten Hall
- Ann Botash, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development
- Susan Graham, MS, MT (ASCP), SH, Clinical Laboratory Science CHP
- Dinesh John, MBBS, Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Shuhong Luo, EdD, MSN, RN College of Nursing
- Thomas Poole, PhD, Cell & Developmental Biology
- Amy Slutzky, PhD, MSLIS, Library
- Michael Vertino, MD, Neurology, Clerkship Director
- Angela Wratney, MD, Pediatrics, COM Interprofessional Education and Communications Thread Leader
- Pamela Youngs-Mayer, EdD, Educational Communications
The Role of the Faculty Educator Development Steering Committee:The charge for the Faculty Educator Development Committee is to "create a culture of quality education, wherein good teaching is valued and rewarded, and Upstate Medical University faculty members are motivated to enjoy their participation in teaching and to improve their teaching skills."
The committee's goals are as follows:
- To identify faculty needs and to provide the resources and support required for excellent teaching at state-of-the-art levels.
- To promote educational activities among the faculty aimed at improving teaching skills.
- To develop and implement activities that provide a forum for the faculty to interact, collaborate, and share teaching expertise.
Educational Development Opportunities:Faculty Educator Development Seminars: Instituted in 2000, knowledgeable presenters share their expertise on topics that will help participants improve their skills as educators and their understanding of education-related issues. Seminars are held on the fourth Tuesday of each month from 12-1 PM in Room 318 Wsk Lib.
Medical Education Journal Clubs: Instituted in 2009, these meetings provide a forum for discussion of published manuscripts relevant to medical education. The group meets on the third Monday of each month from 12- 1 PM in Room 9299 WHA (Doust Board Room).
Faculty Toolbox Workshop Series: Instituted in 2009, this is a series of three intensive workshops that provide a more in-depth exploration of professional development topics. Prior series have focused on education, research, and leadership.
For all activities, e-mails are sent prior to each meeting requesting faculty members to RSVP.