Patient and Visitor COVID-19 Information and Screening
For the safety of our patients, visitors, staff and students, Upstate is screening ALL patients, visitors/companions, staff, and students until further notice.
Visitor Restrictions during Prevalence of COVID-19
Upstate inpatient units at both University, and Community Hospital allows intermittent visitation for admitted patients from 2 - 6 p.m., seven days a week. One visitor per patient is allowed for a maximum of four hours per day. Visitors are currently not permitted on inpatient psychiatry or on 7U Secure Corrections Unit. Visitation at the Family Birth Center at Community Hospital is limited to one labor coach and one doula if applicable. For patients who have COVID-19 disease or for patients who are being evaluated for COVID-19 disease, visitors are not allowed without administrative permission. Visitors must be 18 years of age or older.
For Golisano Children's Hospital (GCH), the patient or family/caregiver may designate two support people with extended visitation privileges who are 18 years of age or older. Only one visitor/support person may be present at a time at the bedside.
Please read the documents below for additional visitor provisions:
Ambulatory/Outpatient visitors/companions are not routinely allowed. Only one person is allowed in ambulatory (clinic) areas if essential for the care of the patient, as determined by the clinic, based on visit criteria. Examples are parent/guardian for minor, patient with dementia, mentally challenged, hands-on/return demonstration education needed for patient’s after care, visit for care/treatment planning or receiving critical test results, and those needing personal assistance to and from the visit such as any patient arriving via wheelchair.
Family and Visitor Designated Waiting Area
Family and Visitors of outpatient procedural or surgical patients may wait in the designated waiting area either for University Hospital in the first floor patient registration or at Community Hospital Physician’s Office Building (conference room). Additional public sites such as the cafeteria, gift shop, Café Kubal and PerkUp Coffee may be utilized, and receiving take out deliveries in hospitals front entrances is permitted.
For Patients before their scheduled visit:
If you have COVID-19 symptoms, if you have been exposed to someone who is sick with or been tested for COVID-19, or if you have been tested for COVID-19, please call your doctor’s office before coming to Upstate for your visit.
COVID-19 Symptoms include:
- fever (100 degrees F or higher)
- shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- repeated shaking with chills
- muscle pain
- sore throat
- new loss of taste or smell
- new skin sore of unknown origin
COVID-19 Screening Process
- All patients, visitors/companions must wear our ear loop mask ONLY from the time they come and during their whole visit. They will need to remove their personal mask for the whole visit and cannot cover their mask with ours. If they say no, they will not be allowed to enter.
- Children will only be given masks if they are able to remove it themselves.
- Screeners will take the temperature of all patients, visitors/companions.
- Screeners will ask all patients, visitors/companions if they are having any COVID-19 symptoms.
COVID-19 Positive Screenings
Patients, visitors/companions will be considered a positive screen if they are having any COVID-19 symptoms. They will be asked to wear our ear loop mask and given directions to call their primary care provider (main doctor) or the Upstate Triage hotline at 315-464-3979.
- All Patients with a positive screen will be given our ear loop mask and the screening staff will call the clinic/unit for direction on where to send the patient.
- Visitors/Companions with a positive screen. No visitor/companion will be allowed if they have a positive screen. Pediatric parent/guardian will be allowed with our ear loop mask if they are the only escort for a minor patient. Visitors/companions with symptoms must wait in their car or return later for the patient; they cannot wait in the building.