Focus: Emergency Department clinical management and administration, including supervising medical students and interns (preparing the resident to become an attending)
Clinical Training Sites: University Hospital, EM-STAT, Upstate University Hospital Community Campus
The clinical schedule consists of 13 four-week blocks.
Administrative (1 block)
- Location: Variable
- Description: Residents are responsible for conflict resolution, sick call, orientation of off-service residents to the department, scheduling conflicts, and providing lectures to medical students and fellow residents.
Adult ED (8 blocks)
Elective (2 blocks)
Elective opportunities at SUNY Upstate EM are highly flexible and can be tailored to the individual interests of the resident. Elective rotations residents have completed in the past include but are not limited to:
- International Medicine
- Dedicated Research
- ED Ultrasound
- Emergency Medical Services, including ground and air-based services
PICU (1 block)
- Location: University Hospital
- Description: Provides residents with opportunities to function as the senior resident on a Pediatric ICU team responsible for admission and inpatient care of critically ill pediatric patients in a busy regional children's hospital. Schedule is Monday through Friday with an exceptional clinical experience obtained through daily rounds with well-known Pediatric Intensivists.
Upstate University Hospital Community Campus ED (1 block)
- Location: Upstate University Hospital at Community Campus ED
- Description: Residents return to the CC ED during the EM-3 year, allowing them greater experience and practice in managing a large number of ED patients at a senior level in a smaller community ED setting, with further Geriatric EM experience. Residents work one-on-one with an EM attending at the CC ED, allowing excellent education while preparing to be an attending physician.