Resources and Screenings
Worried about yourself?
- Free, anonymous online screenings for depression, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and eating disorders
- Information about gambling, including free, anonymous screening and help for gambling problems
- Information and screening for problems related to sexual compulsivity
Want to learn more about mental health and treatment?
- ULifeline is a comprehensive resource for information on mental health and and treatment in the collegiate environment, including anonymous Q&A and self-screenings, a mental health reference library, and a drug reference database.
- The American Psychological Association’s Psychology Help Center offers a wealth of resources to assist with common life stressors and understand and access treatment for mental health issues.
For information on . . .
If you or someone you know is at immediate risk of self-harm, call 911, University Police at 315-464-4000, Contact’s 24-hour hotline at 315-251-0600 or text START to the Crisis Text Line at 741-741
- National Suicide Prevention Life Line
1-800-273-TALK (8255) 24/7 for crisis support
- Emmy-award winning suicide prevention video
- The Jed Foundation
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- The SemiColon Project
Community Substance Use Resources
Alcoholics Anonymous Syracuse
AA provides free, confidential peer-led group meetings for anybody who has a desire to achieve sobriety from alcohol use. Meeting locations vary; call 315-463-5011 or see the website for information.
Al-Anon provides free, confidential peer-led group meetings for those whose lives have been affected by someone else’s alcohol use. Call 315-471-0191 or visit https://al-anon.org/
Crouse Chemical Dependency Treatment Services
Crouse provides a full range of substance use assessment and treatment services, including:
• inpatient services, including withdrawal management and residential services
• Medication-assisted treatment for opioid withdrawal
• Outpatient rehabilitation services, including day treatment, evening treatment programs, and services for young adults
Phone: 315-470-8304 or visit the website for more information
Helio Health services include inpatient detoxification and rehabilitation, outpatient treatment for substance use disorders and mental health disorders, opioid treatment programs, and treatment of problem gambling disorders. Call 315-471-1564 or visit https://www.helio.health
NA provide free, confidential peer-led group support for anyone who has a desire to achieve sobriety from drugs. Meeting location varies; call 818-773-9999 x771 or visit the website for more information.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
SAMHSA provides education about substance use disorders and treatment and referral for local recovery/treatment services.
• Call the 24/7 SAMHSA helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (TTY:1-800-487-4889) to get support and more information.
Syracuse Recovery Services
SRS offers outpatient treatment services, including individual, family, and group counseling, medication treatment, and referral for more intensive treatment services if necessary. They also have a comprehensive Spanish Speaking program. Call 315-475-1771 or visit www.srsrecovery.org
211 CNY provides free help for locating substance use treatment resources, including individual treatment, group treatment, and prevention services. Dial 211 (dial from your cellphone or from a landline anywhere in the county) or visit https://211cny.com/substance.shtml
Free, Online Self-Screening
Information and self-screening from The National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence
Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence
- Vera House provides local crisis intervention, counseling, advocacy, and support services. Call the 24-hour crisis/support line at (315) 468-3260 or visit
- RAINN provides education and confidential, 24-hour support for survivors of sexual assault or abuse via online chat support or phone 1-800-656-HOPE
- Love Is Respect offers information about healthy relationships and 24/7 online or phone support if you’re in crisis. Call 1-866-331-9474 or text loveis to 22522.
- Information on compulsive sexual behavior
- Information about sexual health and functioning
Eating and Body Image
- Information on eating disorders and a self-screening from NEDA
- Information on body image from Psychology Today
- Ophelia’s Place provides education about eating disorders and support services to the greater Syracuse area
Insomnia / Sleep Hygiene
- Learn about sleep and healthy sleep habits
- An app for the treatment for insomnia
Self-Care and Wellness
- Browse information about wellness from the Cleveland Clinic.
- Pathways to Wellness provides programming, education, and resources to students and employees of Upstate to promote a culture of health and wellness. Contact Upstate's Wellness Coordinator, Suzanne Brisk, MS, CWP (464-4260), for more information.
- AAMC Medical Student Well-being Webpage
- List of top web-based and app resources for stress management, meditation, and mindfulness
Resources for Coping and Comfort
- On Being’s Care Package for Uncertain Times
- Sounds True’s Resilience in Challenging Times
- Calm App’s free meditations and sleep stories
- Yo-Yo Ma’s Songs of Comfort
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty
(American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
- Four Ways to Cope with Stress You Likely Haven’t Thought Of (Psychology Today)