[Skip to Content]
3 international students

Employment in the US

International students are permitted to work on campus. College of Graduate Studies students who receive an assistantship are provided a stipend for their services. Other students may work on a part-time basis.

For students without an assistantship the amount of time you may work is limited, so you should not rely on a part-time job to cover expenses or tuition. The typical on-campus non-assistantship job pays approximately $1,000 to $2,000 (U.S. dollars) during the school year, and a similar amount during the summer.

Curricular Practical Training

This is an employment benefit available to be used by students on an F-1 visa before they have completed their course of study. These regulations for CPT apply to all students in F-1 status those who were in the United States on or before January 1, 2003 and those who entered after that date.

Optional Practical Training

This is another benefit that is available for F-1 students to engage in employment that is directly related to the program of study.