[Skip to Content]

Post Graduate Advanced Certificate Program FAQs

Questions About The Program

Expand all

Is the program online?

The program is in a hybrid format including online and face-to-face classes. Classes are either fully online through Brightspace or meet one evening per week if classroom-based.

Will I be able to work while in the Post Graduate Advanced Certificate Program?

This program is considered part-time graduate study. Students should be able to work full-time. Others may need to adjust their work schedule to meet their family and academic obligations.

Do I have to be online at a specific time?

Online courses are mostly asynchronous. However, your instructor may require that you participate in certain synchronous activities within a specific timeframe. There will be deadlines for learning activities, but the days of the week and time of day you log in to participate are the times that are convenient for you.

How many credits are required to complete the Post Graduate Advanced Certificate Program?

FNP: 42 credits

Pediatrics: 42 credits

Psychiatric Mental Health: 45 credits

Adult Geriatric Nurse Practitioner: 42 credits

Questions About the Application Process

Expand all

How do I apply?

You can fill out and submit an application on the How To Apply - Post Graduate Advanced Certificate page.

More information about the application procedure can be found on the Application Requirements page.

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $65. The application fee is paid online via credit card.

When can I apply?

Applications for the Post Graduate Certificate Program are accepted on a rolling basis.  Once accepted, a gap analysis will be completed to determine which courses will transfer and what the starting semester will be.

What type of letters of recommendations should I submit?

Letters must come from a professor/faculty member, a manager/supervisor, or an advanced practice nurse. One letter must be from your current supervisor and/or someone able to evaluate your clinical experience. The committee will not accept letters of recommendation from a friend/colleague. Applicants will submit their reference's information when filling out their application for admission. Upon submission of the application, the references will receive instructions on how to submit them through MyUpstate.


How can I check the status of my application?

After you apply, you will receive access to an online status checker.

Can I defer my acceptance?

We consider deferrals on a case by case basis.

Can I meet with an admissions advisor?

If you'd like to speak with an Admissions Officer, please call 315-464-4570 during normal business hours (weekdays from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM). No appointment is necessary. You can also schedule an appointment.

Whom do I call if I have questions about the application process?

 Office of Admissions, 315-464-4570 or [email protected].

If I am not admitted, can I reapply?

Yes, you're welcome to reapply the following cycle. We encourage reapplicants to update their resume, personal statement, and/or letters of recommendation.

I am having technical problems with my online application. What do I do?

Technical support is available during regular business hours over the phone at 315-464-4570. You can also submit an email to [email protected] and we will get back to you with instructions or call you with guidance.

Miscellaneous Questions

Expand all

How much is tuition?

More information about tuition can be found on the Tuition and Cost of Attendance page of our website.

Does SUNY Upstate host information sessions?

Yes, registration information is available on the Virtual Events page of the Prospective Students website.

What does it mean if my application is placed on hold?

If your application was placed on hold, the Admissions Committee will conduct a second review of your file in March (likely toward the middle of the month). At that time, you will receive another decision: admitted or denied.

Does SUNY Upstate accept non-matriculated students?

Yes, we do. The process of registering as a non-matriculated student is handled by the Registrar’s Office. You can find the instructions and forms available on the Non-Matriculated Students page of the Current Students website.