Upstate Community Hospital now offers a one-day total knee replacement option called Swift Knee. Swift Knee patients have surgery and go home on the same day. Typically the surgery is done early in the morning and patients may be discharged by later afternoon or early evening. The Swift Knee option significantly shortens the patient’s hospital stay and allows for more rest and recovery at home.
Swift Knee patients must talk with their doctor beforehand to determine if he or she is a good candidate for this one-day option. Swift Knee patients must consult with their doctor and agree to pre-surgery steps that include an educational class on what to expect once home, physical therapy, consultations with nurse navigators and some testing.
Once the surgery is complete, Swift Knee patients are only discharged if they feel comfortable leaving the hospital and the pain is under control. Patients may stay overnight if necessary or desired.
Benefits of a Swift Knee:
- Less time in the hospital.
- Patients recover at home where the surroundings, food and people are familiar.
Swift Knee, patients must:
- Work with a nurse navigator to plan for the at-home, post-surgery environment
- including home layout, support person, discharge plan, transportation and more.
- Attend a “Total Joint Class for Swift Knee” before the operation.
- Agree to pre-tests including labs and imaging.
- Meet with a nurse navigator before the surgery.
Upstate is the only hospital in Central New York offering Swift Knee. To find out if this option is right for you, call 315-464-8668.