Plan Your Research
Many students pursue research projects during the summer between the first and second years of Medical School. Every Medical Student should be prepared to meet and discuss research opportunities with investigators at Upstate and off campus.
Here are the main steps you need to take that will help you formulate your research plans:
- Familiarize yourself with the different Upstate College of Medicine Research Departments
- Explore your own specific research focus, as well as Faculty within that focus by browsing Major Research Areas
- Review the updated list with active projects and P.I.s*
- Review both Upstate and external institutions current opportunities
- Choose ONE Faculty member that you're interested in pursuing research with
- Prepare your personal statement of interest that addresses why you are interested in this field, ensuring that it aligns with the mentor's research focus, and what you hope to gain from the experience
- Update your CV, describing your relevant achievements and experiences
- Send a professional email to your prospective Faculty of your choice with your CV and statement. Politely ask to make an appointment to discuss the prospect of doing research with them.
*Be aware that the opportunities available to you are constantly changing.
The Office of Research for Medical Students is here to support you at any stage of your journey.
Please contact Danielle Limer-Nies, Meds4Research@upstate.edu, if you would like to make an appointment to meet with Dr. Dimitra Bourboulia, Assistant Dean for UME and GME Research and Director, Office of Research for Medical Students.