SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine encourages Medical students to participate in a variety of research opportunities. Learn more about available programs in the list shown below:
An 8 week summer research program that takes place between years 1 and 2. This year, twelve fellowships will be awarded to students to conduct mentored summer research on campus.
The 2023 Summer Research Fellowship application will be released later this month. See below last year's application for reference.
2023-24 Summer Fellowship Application
For additional information about awarded credits please contact the Undergraduate Medical Education Office.
- SUNY Upstate Medical University Medical Alumni Scholarships
- CAP Foundation Medical Student Travel Award
The Medical Student Travel Award is intended to encourage and support medical students showing a strong interest in the specialty of pathology as a career choice.
- Next application cycle TBA
- APA Psychiatry Travel Scholarship
- Other ORMS Travel Reimbursement Funds
Should you have any questions about scholarship and grant opportunity, please contact the Admissions and Financial Aid Office at (315) 464-4570 or email@example.com.
Please see Plan Your Research for the current list of active projects available at Upstate
- Summer Internships
- Applications will be open mid-November through March 1
- Medical Research Scholars Program
- Clinical Electives
- While there is no deadline, and applicants are accepted on a continuous basis, we advise students to apply as soon as possible. We advise international students to apply a minimum of 6 months prior to the desired elective start date and national students to apply a minimum of 3 months prior to the desired elective start date.
Research funding may be provided to all MS years. For MS1, we recommend you apply to these opportunities, in addition to the SUNY Upstate COM Summer Research Fellowship.
- AΩA Programs
- Various due dates and programs, see link for more details
- Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation
- Pediatric onocology investigation opportunities
- American Society of Hematology
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Urological Association Summer Medical Student Fellowships
- Association of American Medical Colleges Clinical and Research Opportunities
- Database of opportunities across AAMC Medical Schools
- Chinese American Medical Society, Summer Research Fellowship
- Crohn's and Colitis Student Research Awards
- Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research
- Gold Foundation Student Summer Fellowships
- Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships
- The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) Foundation
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Summer Medical Student Fellowship Program
- Neurosurgery Research and Education Foundation
- Psychiatry Summer Mentoring Program
- Physicians of Tomorrow Awards, AMA - includes underrepresented in Medicine opportunities
- The Ross Student Research Fellowship
- Student Scholarships in Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Medical and Healthcare Scholarships