Early Assurance Program (EAP) for College Sophomores
NOTE: The EAP program is a binding program. Candidates who decide (for whatever reason) not to continue with the Early Assurance Program but rather to apply to AMCAS via the regular admissions process to multiple medical schools must first withdraw their guaranteed acceptance to SUNY Upstate. The Admissions Committee would be happy to consider your regular admission application from candidates in this situation.
The Early Assurance Program offers early acceptance to undergraduate students in their second year of college. Applicants must have sophomore standing and be enrolled at any accredited undergraduate institution. Students that have NOT completed two years of college study but have advanced standing due to AP credit are eligible to apply.
The EAP program is designed to free students from the pressures associated with applying to numerous medical schools, allowing them more freedom to pursue unique academic interests and experiences. It is NOT intended to accelerate the length of time of an undergraduate education.
Accepted students are required to complete their remaining two years of college, maintain a 3.50 science GPA (in required medical school prerequisites) and a 3.50 overall GPA, and must achieve a required score of 510 on the MCAT exam by August 31st of the year prior to entry. A maximum of two attempts will be allowed (if needed) to obtain this score. Accepted students are also expected to continue relevant volunteer experiences.
Applicants to the Early Assurance Program must have:
- A minimum overall grade point average of 3.50
- A minimum science grade point average of 3.50 in required medical school prerequisites
- Must have SAT score of 1360 or better (combined Critical Reading & Math) or ACT score of 30 Composite or better (top score in each section will be considered)
- Any 5 out of the 8 science courses listed below completed prior to application:
- General Biology I & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- General Biology II & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- General Chemistry I & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- General Chemistry II & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- Organic Chemistry I & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- Biochemistry (3-4 semester hours)
- General Physics I & lab (3-4 semester hours)
- General Physics II & lab (3-4 semester hours)
The courses below are additional pre-requisites that do not need to be completed prior to application, however they do need to be successfully completed prior to enrolling as a medical student.
- English elective (3 semester hours)
- Composition or Writing course (3 semester hours)
- Statistics (3 semester hours)
If your college or university awarded you credit for any AP courses, they MUST be listed on your college transcript. If they are not listed individually on your college transcript, you must send a letter from your college registrar indicating the AP courses and the course requirements that they fulfill at your college or university.
A completed application consists of:
- EAP Application: Apply Now (available March 1st-July 1st)
- Official SAT or ACT Score Report
- Please note it may take several weeks for Admissions to receive your official scores once requested. We will accept a screen shot of SAT and/or ACT scores while waiting for the official scores to arrive. Screen shots can be emailed to email@example.com.
For this application, a Health Professions Committee Letter of Recommendation is required OR in the absence of such a committee, two letters of recommendation from faculty members in different departments are acceptable, although one of the departments must be a science department.
Letters must be emailed to admissions directly from the letter writers, preferably on letterhead, and from a professional or institutional email address to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address below. Please note mailing letters might take a little longer to process:
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Admissions & Financial Aid
766 Irving Ave.
Weiskotten Hall 1210
Syracuse, NY 13210
- Personal Statement
- Official College Transcript(s) from every college ever attended (even if you only took one course, or took it in high school) *Your current transcript must contain your most recent spring grades. You may want to request this be sent to us only once your grades become available in May.
- $110 Application Fee
In order to retain their acceptance, students must maintain a minimum cumulative and pre-requisite science undergraduate GPA of 3.50 EACH Semester (we do not round up), earn no grade lower than a "C", and score a minimum of 510 (80th percentile rank) on the MCAT. Applicants have a maximum of two attempts (if needed) to attain the minimum score by August 31st, one year prior to their expected matriculation at SUNY Upstate. Acceptance is conditional and will be rescinded if conditions of acceptance and admission requirements are not met.