766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
Google Maps & Directions
Phone: 315 464-4570
Thank you for your interest in attending SUNY Upstate Medical University's College of Medicine. Each year approximately 170 students enter Upstate's College of Medicine from more than 75 colleges and universities. The College receives approximately 4,500 applications each year. The entering class of 2020 has 56% women and 44% men. The average MCAT was 509.86 and the average cumulative GPA was 3.64.
Upstate Medical University’s College of Medicine welcomes applications from U.S. citizens, permanent residents, foreign citizens, and individuals who are eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) process. Applicants must have at least 90 semester hours of course work in the United States or Canada at an accredited institution.
When the SUNY Upstate Medical University’s Office of Admissions receives a completed application, our staff begins a comprehensive, holistic review. This is done without regard to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or marital status. In a holistic review process, we consider the applicant as a whole individual rather than select parts, such as GPA or test scores. In doing so, we evaluate applicants based on who will contribute to the SUNY Upstate Medical University’s academic community in meaningful ways. Holistic review takes into account factors such as a student’s strength of coursework, academic and extracurricular interests, unique talents, background, and personality. By evaluating an application from a holistic perspective, we take the time to get to know applicants as people, not as numbers.
SUNY Upstate Medical University requires background checks for all accepted College of Medicine students. More information on background checks may be found at the AAMC website.
Required Prerequisite Courses
- General Biology I & II w/labs
- General Chemistry I & II w/labs
- Organic Chemistry I w/lab
- General Physics I & II w/labs*
- English elective
- Statistics (3hrs)
* While it is recommended, we do not require your Physics courses to be calculus-based unlike other medical schools.
Applicants can apply without having completed all the pre-requisites however, if accepted, it would be on the condition that any outstanding required courses be successfully completed prior to enrolling.
To Complete an Application:
- Submit a verified AMCAS application by October 15th
- Submit Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores to AMCAS by October 15th
- Submit the appropriate letters of recommendation to AMCAS
- Submit a SUNY Upstate Medical University Secondary Application by December 1st - once our admissions office receives your verified AMCAS application we will forward you instructions on how to access our secondary application
- Submit a non-refundable application processing fee of $110 by December 1st
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make certain that all materials are received by our office prior to the appropriate deadlines. If an applicant decides to withdraw their application, we do require that they notify our office, in writing, as soon as possible.
SUNY Upstate Medical University will:
- ONLY accept MCAT's taken within the 3 years prior to application
- ONLY consider scores that are received prior to our December 1st application deadline
- Not hold applications for January test scores
- Not re-review an application once the admissions committee has made a decision on an applicant