Mission and Goals
The Upstate Medical University Department of Physical Therapy Education envisions communities in which the health of individuals is promoted by physical therapists who are committed to lifelong learning, service to others and the pursuit of professional excellence.
To promote excellence in education, scholarship, and service to inspire students and clinicians to be transformative physical therapy leaders.
- The Department of Physical Therapy Education prepares students to be generalist physical therapists who embrace best practice principles and professional core values, and who are prepared to meet the changing physical therapy needs of society.
- The Department of Physical Therapy Education faculty demonstrate contemporary expertise and a commitment to excellence in teaching.
- The Department of Physical Therapy Education discovers, integrates, applies, and engages knowledge to support physical therapy practice, education, and the profession.
- Students in the Department of Physical Therapy Education analyze and apply scholarship related to physical therapy practice, education, and the profession.
- The Department of Physical Therapy Education displays leadership and service to the community and profession.
Student Learning Objectives
Demonstrate effective communication skills with a variety of stakeholders.
- Communicate (verbally and non-verbally) in ways that are congruent with situational needs.
- Communicate effectively as members of an interprofessional healthcare team.
- Effectively document patient encounters based on legal, ethical and institutional principles and guidelines.
- Educate various stakeholders using relevant and effective teaching methods.
Demonstrate professional, ethical, fiscally responsible and culturally competent practice.
- Demonstrate a commitment to society and the profession through advocacy, mentorship, education, service and prudent resource utilization.
- Adapt delivery of physical therapy services with consideration for patients’ differences, values, preferences, and needs.
- Participate in the financial management of physical therapy delivery consistent with regulatory, legal, and facility guidelines.
Promote health and wellness, examine, evaluate, diagnose, establish prognosis, provide intervention(s) and manage physical therapy services for individuals with movement dysfunction.
- Promote and advance human health and wellness.
- Perform physical therapy patient examination using appropriate evidenced-based tests and measures.
- Evaluate data from the patient examination to make appropriate and prudent clinical judgments.
- Determine a diagnosis and prognosis that guides future, optimal patient management.
- Establish a physical therapy plan of care that is safe, effective, patient-centered, and evidence-based.
- Perform physical therapy interventions in a competent manner.
- Direct and supervise personnel to meet patient goals and expected outcomes according to legal standards and ethical guidelines.
- Pass the licensing exam.
Critically evaluate and applies evidence as a basis for PT practice, determines the effectiveness of intervention(s), and demonstrates a commitment to life-long learning.
- Participate in self-assessment to improve clinical and professional performance.
- Apply current knowledge, theory, clinical judgment, and the patient’s values and perspective in patient management.
- Collect and analyze data from selected outcome measures in a manner that supports accurate analysis of individual patient and group outcomes.