Congee is a type of rice porridge often served for breakfast or as a side dish to a larger meal. It is regarded as the ultimate comfort food.
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 scallions
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 cups vegetable or bone broth
- Cut off and discard the root of scallions; thinly slice.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tsp oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add half the white parts of the scallions and spices to the pot. Cook while frequently stirring, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add rice and season with salt and pepper. Mix until all of the seasonings have coated the rice.
- Add broth and stir to combine. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice has become tender and creamy. Periodically scrape the sides and bottom of the pot to prevent the rice from sticking.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Protein: baked chicken or fish, hard-boiled eggs, grilled pork loin.
Vegetables: carrots, mushrooms, peas, spinach, and summer squash.