Weeknight Mediterranean Grain Bowl with Chicken
Yield: 4 bowls
- 1 lb chicken thighs or breasts
- 3 Tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Optional: chopped fresh dill, mint, or basil
- 1 cup dry farro
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Sliced bell pepper (optional)
- Quick pickled onions (optional)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup tzatziki
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Optional: fresh chopped herbs like dill, parsley, basil, or mint
- Optional: lemon wedges for serving
- Marinate the chicken. Mix all dressing ingredients (Balsamic or red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, and salt). Add chicken, mixing it around with the marinade. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes. This can be done up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
- Cook the farro. This can also be done ahead. Rinse 1 cup dried farro underwater for about 2 minutes until water is no longer cloudy. Drain and add to the pot. Add 3 cups water or vegetable broth. Simmer over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes or until farro has absorbed all the liquid.
- Make the salad. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion to a bowl. Toss with vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. This can be done up to 24 hours in advance as well and stored in the refrigerator.
- Cook the chicken. Grill, bake or sauté - whatever you prefer until internal temperature reaches 165°F. When it is done, slice into strips for the bowls.
- Assemble the bowls. Start with baby spinach and farro. Top with chicken, salad, peppers, and onions (if using), and finish with a spoonful of each dip. Serve with a squeeze of lemon, if desired.
Nutrition: Serving: 1; Calories: 683; Sodium: 152 mg; Carbohydrates: 741 mg; Fiber: 11 g; Protein: 41 g.