Homemade Chicken Broth
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 3 1/4 hours
YIELD: about 6 cups
- 2 1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces (legs, wings, necks, or backbones)
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat until mixture is just at a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 hours, skimming foam as necessary.
- Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from the surface and serve.
Nutrition Per Cup: 86 Calories, 8 gm Carbohydrate, and 6 gm Protein.