The financial aspect of dealing with a cancer diagnosis can be complex and overwhelming. At the Upstate Cancer Center, a financial counselor is available to help minimize the confusion and stress that can be caused by financial concerns.
A financial counselor, as a support service, can assist patients and families in better understanding their insurance coverage and finding additional resources to help pay for care.
Here are some of the specific ways a financial counselor can help:
- Explain your health insurance benefits
- Answer billing and insurance questions
- Assist with enrollment into programs with the New York State Health Exchange
- Explain how you may be able to get secondary insurance coverage
- Locate possible co-pay relief programs and patient assistance funding
- Help you apply for our hospital financial assistance program
- Investigate additional foundation funding programs for which you qualify
- Help you learn about drug company programs that provide discounts
- Estimate your out-of-pocket medical expenses