Care is provided in a multidisciplinary setting, which means physicians and other experts from many departments work together to discuss treatments for each patient.
As part of an academic medical center, Upstate Cancer Center doctors have specialized training and provide many of the same treatments and technologies as national cancer centers.
Neuro-Oncology and Pediatric Hematology-Oncology capabilities include:
- Multidisciplinary tumor board where experts from all disciplines meet and discuss the patient's case to come up with a comprehensive plan
- Coordination of the diagnosis and treatment planning
- Consultation and support for each patient
- Adjuvant chemotherapy and supportive care in the outpatient and inpatient settings
- Molecular mapping for tumors
Neurosurgery capabilities include:
- Fellowship-trained neurosurgeons
- Dedicated Neurosurgical ICU
- Awake craniotomies with cortical mapping
- Endoscopic and minimally invasive neurosurgery
- Surgically targeted radiation Brachytherapy
- Stereotactic (frame-based and frameless) targeted biopsies
- Fluorescence guided micro-neurosurgery
- Intraoperative Neuronavigation for mapping and planning tumor resections
- Intraoperative MRI and angiogram suites
- Laser ablation for tumors
Radiology capabilities include:
- State-of-the-art CT and MRI imaging
- Interpretation by board-certified neuroradiologists
- Intraoperative images during procedures, including ultrasound, angiography, and interventional procedures such as preoperative embolization of meningiomas.
Neuropathology capabilities include:
- Full range of histologic and immunohistochemical analyses by board-certified neuropathologists
- Pinpoint diagnosis of primary central nervous system tumors
- Results to guide further therapy.
Radiation Oncology capabilities include:
- External beam radiotherapy using megavoltage linear accelerators
- With the Department of Neurosurgery offers stereotactic linear radiosurgery and brachytherapy.