Care is provided in a multidisciplinary setting, which means physicians and other experts from many departments work together to discuss treatments for each patient.
As part of an academic medical center, Upstate Cancer Center doctors have specialized training and provide many of the same treatments and technologies as national cancer centers.
Neuro-Oncology and Pediatric Hematology-Oncology capabilities include:
- Multidisciplinary tumor board where experts from all disciplines meet and discuss the patient's case to come up with a comprehensive plan
- Only fellowship-trained neuro-oncologist in Central New York
- Coordination of the diagnosis and treatment planning
- Consultation and support for each patient
- Adjuvant chemotherapy and supportive care in the outpatient and inpatient settings
- Molecular mapping for tumors
Neurosurgery capabilities include:
- A dedicated Neurosurgical ICU
- Awake craniotomies with cortical mapping
- Endoscopic neurosurgery
- Brachytherapy with implantation of radioactive iodine seeds
- A Lexall stereotactic frame for stereotactic biopsies
- MKM frameless stereotactic microscope and localizing system to map and plan tumor resections.
Radiology capabilities include:
- State-of-the-art CT and MRI imaging
- Interpretation by board-certified neuroradiologists
- Intraoperative images during procedures, including ultrasound, angiography, and interventional procedures such as preoperative embolization of meningiomas.
Neuropathology capabilities include:
- Full range of histologic and immunohistochemical analyses by board-certified neuropathologists
- Pinpoint diagnosis of primary central nervous system tumors
- Results to guide further therapy.
Radiation Oncology capabilities include:
- External beam radiotherapy using megavoltage linear accelerators
- With the Department of Neurosurgery offers stereotactic linear radiosurgery and brachytherapy.