The F. Sean Hodge Prize for Poetry in Medicine
Sean Hodge, MD, a graduate of SUNY Upstate Medical University who went on to establish a thriving otolaryngology practice, died an untimely death in 2017. A physician who loved the humanities, he read and wrote poetry and played music as complements to a busy physician’s life. In his honor, his family and the Center for Bioethics and Humanities established this poetry prize, to encourage physicians and physicians-in-training to write poetry as one way of reflecting on and communicating their experiences.
How to enter:
- Submit through The Healing Muse’s Submittable website, healingmuse.submittable.com/submit
- Indicate when asked that you are submitting for consideration for The Muse and the poetry prize
- Confirm that you meet eligibility criteria
- Limit of 5 poems/submitter
- Submission deadline: April 15, 2024
Awards: A $250 prize will be given in each of the two categories:
- Current medical students, residents, and fellows
- Physicians who have completed post-graduate training
Hodge Prize winners will be announced in May. Winning poems will be published in the next volume of The Healing Muse. All poems, whether or not they win a prize, will be considered for publication.