Comprehensive Pain Management Center
Upstate Bone and Joint Center
Map & directions
6620 Fly Road, East Syracuse, NY 13057
Phone: 315 464-4259
Fax: 315 464-9393
Office Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
At Upstate Comprehensive Pain Management Center, our aim is to help our patients with chronic pain conditions to regain their quality of life and function.
In 1988, Upstate Comprehensive Pain Management Center was added to provide adequate analgesia for patients with post-surgical pain, post-traumatic pain, or acute exacerbation of chronic pain.
- The Acute Pain team takes care of inpatient pain problems. The team consists of Board-Certified Pain Management specialists, experienced Nurse Practitioners, Pain Fellows and Anesthesia Residents who rotate through Pain Service.
- Chronic Pain Treatment Center works in close association with physical therapists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, psychiatrists and other patient care teams.
Office visits are by referrals and appointments only.
- Prolonged, tolerable pain relief
- Reduction of dependency on medications, particularly narcotics
- Education of patients and family
- More active and productive lives
Upstate Comprehensive Pain Management Center is the first comprehensive pain center in the central New York area, and it is one of only a few pain centers that offers integrated pain services for patients with acute and chronic pain syndromes. In order to meet patients' complex medical needs, the Center frequently draws upon other specialty medical services available at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
A variety of invasive and non-invasive treatments are utilized including
- Differential Neural Blockade
- Sympathetic and Steroid blocks
- Regional infiltration of the muscle
- Peripheral nerve blocks
- Pharmacologic therapy
- TENS/Interferential therapy
- Psychological counseling
- Implantation of dorsal column stimulators and intrathecal morphine pumps
In keeping with the Upstate Medical University's tradition, clinical research and education are ongoing and integral parts of Upstate Comprehensive Pain Management Center.
Some common syndromes seen at the center
- Chronic Low back pain
- Sympathetically mediated pain
- Painful condition following any type of injury; usually presenting as severe burning pain, discoloration, and swelling
- Post herpetic and Diabetic neuralgias
- Pain following shingles and painful hands and feet associated with diabetes
- Post operative neuralgias
- Shooting type of pain associated with minor injury to nerve
- Deafferentation pain—e.g., phantom limb pain
- Cancer pain
- Fibromyalgia—Painful conditions from muscles and ligaments