Patricia Numann, MD '65, the first woman surgeon at SUNY Upstate Medical University and in 2004 was inducted into the International Women in Medicine Hall of Fame. (American Medical Women's Association (AMWA) International Women in Medicine Hall of Fame)
Women in Medicine & Science is dedicated to retaining and developing women faculty at SUNY Upstate and recruiting new female faculty.
To do so, WIMS offers the following services:
- Monthly meetings in a round-table format;
- Interactive website with announcements, external links, meeting minutes and a discussion board;
- Annual Professional Development Day dedicated to professional issues for faculty, with an emphasis on equity and advancement;
- Book discussion group to share insights from professionally relevant materials;
- Leadership development opportunities through the Association of American Medical Colleges ;
- Individual support from faculty members regarding personal concerns, family life,
professional questions, and other issues not covered in formal meetings or mentoring program.