Wednesday, September 19, 2012
SIDS and Pediatric Sleep - 2012 AASPP
This annual conference was developed for neonatologists, pediatric pulmonologists, pediatric neurologists, nurses, respiratory therapists and other healthcare professionals who have an interest in sudden infant death and sleep disorders.
1. List at least research project with AASP participation and explain the purpose and methodology.
2. Explain researchfindings linking medullary serotonin dysfunction to SIDS
3. Explain how to diagnose parasomnias in children.
4. Describe how intermittent hypoxia, caffeine, and brain development are related
5. Discuss how periodic limb movement in childhood compares to obstructive sleep apnea.
6. Give 2 things learned in the literature review that will impact your patient care.
7. Explain the medical examiners's approach in determining cause and manner of death in SIDS, SUID, and suffocation deaths.
8. Describe at least 2 SIDS issues facing Nurses and RTs.
9. Describe the evidence linking SIDS to genetics.
10. List 3 important findings of the DECAF Pilot Study.
11. Describe 2 risk factors for hospital nursery SUID deaths.
12. Explain how maternal sleep apnea may be related to preterm birth.
13. Explain an important thing learned from the case presentations and tell how it will affect the way you preform your job.
Approved for 13 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits