Crime Prevention Tips
It is important to be aware that a crime can occur, anticipating the location, time, and taking action to reduce the chance of it happening. Crime prevention is key to stopping the ability and opportunity for a criminal. The use of instinct, knowledge, common sense and awareness can make you a tough target.
Three Basic Rules
- Stay Alert
- Keep your mind on your surroundings, who’s in front of you and who’s behind you. Don’t get distracted.
- Walk Purposefully, stand tall, and make eye contact with people around you.
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.
Blue Light Phones
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of the “Blue Light Phones” on campus.
- Don’t hesitate to use one if you believe you are possibly in danger.
- The phones ring directly into the University Police Department and a code shows which campus phone is activated.
- An Officer is dispatched to assist and check the area.
- Use foyer phones in the entryways of buildings to alert University Police to problems.