Tips and Links
Crime Prevention Tips From UPD
In order to protect yourself and your property, here are a few tips from YOUR University Police Department:
- Most larcenies occur in areas that are left unsecured so please:
- Close and lock your door if leaving your office, even if just for a few minutes
- Secure your locker and don't give anyone the combination
- Place valuables in locked drawers/lockers
- Do not leave belongings in common areas
- Be alert for suspicious persons/activity and REPORT IT! - If you see something, say something!!!
- Person(s) you have not seen in the area previously, or look lost
- Going from room to room as if looking for something
- Someone in an unauthorized area with or without Upstate ID
- Don't walk to your car alone
- Use the buddy system, walk with friends
- Stay in well lit areas, away from possible hiding spots like bushes, etc.
- Utilize the University Police Personal Safety Escort service 24/7
Here are some suggestions on how to safeguard your bicycle, use them at your discretion:
- Lock your bicycle up every time – for any amount of time.
- Always lock up your bicycle with the proper bike lock.
- The most effective bike lock is the U-Lock.
- Don’t be afraid to use more than one lock for extra security. Lock your bike through the frame and both wheels.
- For bicycles with quick-release front wheels, remove the front wheel and place the bike against a stationary object such as a bike rack. Then, take the front wheel and lock it up with the rear wheel.
- Please lock your bicycle in authorized areas. Utilize the bike racks in the East Garage, the front of the Campus Activities Building, Geneva Tower, IHP, and B-3 Courtyard.
- Take a photo of the bike and write a description of it, so you can describe it accurately if it is missing.
- Register your bike, this way you have the information in case of emergency.
- Remove all detachable parts that can be removed without tools, such as pumps, lights, etc.
- Do not leave your bicycle unattended for days at a time, after awhile the University Police have to remove the bicycle and store it as found property.
Remember, you are your own best defense against thieves!!