The mission of the University Police Department is to assist in providing a safe and secure environment which enhances and supports the campus learning experience, the research enterprise, and the patient care mission of Upstate Medical University through the compassionate, ethical, and professional delivery of police services.
The mission is pursued within the framework of the State University Rules and Regulations and all local, state, and federal laws. The investigation of crimes committed on campus falls under the jurisdiction of the University Police Department. Further, the University Police Department enjoys a close working relationship with the professionals of the Syracuse Police Department, the Onondaga County Sheriff's Department, the New York State Police, and various other law enforcement agencies. When circumstances dictate, these departments may assist in the investigation of incidents that may occur on or off campus, and may involve the interests and mission of SUNY Upstate Medical University.
The mission will be accomplished by:
- Enforcing applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Serving with honesty and integrity
- Promoting a climate of mutual trust and respect
- Ensuring open and effective communication
- Conveying a positive attitude and environment
- Demanding accountability from employees of the University Police Department