About the Process
Why are We Doing This? And Why Now?
Upstate Medical University prides itself in continuously striving for excellence and continuous improvement. We inaugurated a new President, Dr. Danielle Laraque-Arena in 2016, and are refocusing our organizational strategy. The timing of this initiative is optimal.
A few factors:
- Our prior Strategic Plan sunsetted in 2015
- New leadership internally and externally
- Significant changes in the healthcare, academic, and research environment
- Evolving needs of our employees, learners, patients, community and stakeholders.
What is a Balanced Scorecard?
A balanced scorecard is an integrated strategy and performance management system. In short, it is a tool that:
- Communicates with clarity the mission, vision, and strategy to employees and stakeholders
- Aligns day-to-day work to the vision and strategy
- Provides a framework for prioritizing programs, projects, services and resources, making us more efficient and effective.
How long does this process take?
Development of an institution-wide, Tier-1, balanced scorecard is expected to take six months. Full integration of a balanced scorecard methodology within all areas of the institution typically takes 2 – 3 years. This process will ultimately become our standard practice for continuous strategic planning and management.
Why Use A Balanced Scorecard Methodology?
- The Balanced Scorecard is a tried and true method that works in all environments.
- The Balanced Scorecard is a proven tool and different than any previously used at Upstate Medical University.
- The system makes connections for and to people.
- Measurement-managed organizations are better aligned and more successful.
What is the Balanced Scorecard Institute?
BSI is an internationally recognized provider of training, consultation, and certification in strategic planning and management. Their extensive experience with business, government, and non-profit organizations in all sectors – including healthcare, academics, and research – positions them well to assist Upstate in our longterm strategic planning efforts. Their Nine Steps to Success™ methodology is a disciplined, logical, and thorough approach to involve leadership, employees, and stakeholders in development of strategy and performance measures that engage all involved in achieving the mission and vision of the organization. BSI places a high focus on training, coaching, change management and problem solving to insure development of a balanced scorecard system that is sustainable throughout the entire organization.
BSI consultants working with Upstate Medical University:
For more information, visit: www.balancedscorecard.org.