Make a Difference
You can make a difference in furthering the mission and vision of Spiritual Care at Upstate!
Make a donation to one of our funds that directly support basic needs of our Center.
- Father Alfred Bebel Spiritual Care Fund Supports spiritual care services, provides for the Chapel's ongoing needs and strengthens professional chaplaincy education and training.
This fund was established in 2004 upon the retirement of Father Alfred Bebel, Roman Catholic priest of the Diocese of Syracuse and beloved priest chaplain at Upstate since 1986. During those years, Fr. Bebel worked tirelessly to provide spiritual care for patients and families in crisis. In addition, he offered staff support, participated as a chaplain mentor in the College of Medicine, held membership on the Ethics Committee, and offered prayers for numerous graduations and other celebratory functions. He has touched countless lives through his compassion and caring nature. Beloved by all, Fr. Bebel's ministry will continue through your generous contribution to spiritual care at Upstate.
- Pediatric Spiritual Care Fund Supports all aspects of our pediatric chaplaincy, including supplies, professional pastoral development, publications and the Treehouse Chapel.
Rev. Louise Tallman served as Upstate's first Pediatric Chaplain from Octobert 2003 until retirement in December 2012. During her time here, she helped create a strong, vibrant spiritual care program that served pediatric patients and their families from all walks of life. Affectionately known as "Rev. Weez" by all, she was regularly sought out for advice and counseling. Her commitment to inclusivity, diversity and spirituality in the pediatric chaplain program will continue to be supported through donations made to this fund that celebrate the legacy of her ministry.
- Harold Berman Pediatric Spiritual Care Endowment Fund The purpose of this fund is to provide a regular source of interest income that can be used to support the Pediatric Spiritual Care Fund which covers expenses for the pediatric chaplain.
This endowment was established in 2007 in memory of Harold Berman, a lifelong Syracuse resident, well-known community advocate for the disabled, political advisor and devoted follower of the Syracuse Chiefs baseball team. Disabled from rheumatoid arthritis since his teens, he endured numerous operations, treatments and hospitalizations that only made him more determined to help others. He was instrumental in founding the Euclid Community Open House, Stuck-in-the-House, Inc, as well as working with the City of Syracuse ramp program, Onondaga Country Elevator Code Board, Enable, Salt City Playhouse, Syracuse Disabled in Action, TLC, the Syracuse Flyers and the Arthritis Foundation. At University Hospital, he was beloved in the pediatric department for encouraging members of the Syracuse Chiefs to visit sick and injured children through the years.
- Heather Strong Heroes of Hope Memorial Fund The purpose of this fund is to support the needs of the Upstate Cancer Center Spiritual Care Program.
- Spiritual Care Reiki Fund Supports integration of Reiki at Upstate through training, research and program development.
Spiritual Care has ongoing as well as one-time special needs for in-kind donations. These needs range from Bibles to prayer blankets to special projects such as creating a handmade altar and pulpit for the Treehouse Chapel. We welcome your inquiry about what is currently needed by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Center's main number at 315 464-4687.