Body Neuro/Interventional Radiology
Upstate University Hospital - Downtown Campus
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map & directions
Phone: 315 464-8035
Fax: 315 464-5108
Hours: M-F 7:00-4:00 p.m.
Interventional Radiology - Community Campus
Upstate University Hospital - Community Campus
4900 Broad Road
Syracuse, NY 13215
Map & directions
Phone: 315 492-5526
Fax: 315 492-5672
Mitchell Karmel, MD
Director, Vascular &
The Divisions of Interventional Radiology (IR) and Neuro Radiology are staffed by board certified radiologists specifically trained in their select field of radiology. They are supported by a staff of technologists and nurses dedicated to providing our patients with the safest, highest quality, and most efficient care possible.
Many of the procedures we perform replace invasive surgeries, effectively shortening the patient's hospital stay and/or recovery time.
The IR/Neuro section is equipped with state-of-the-art angiographic suites, providing analog, digital, rotational, and 3D imaging.
Conventional angiography shows
vascular malformation of the brain.
Our equipment includes:
- Siemen's Bi-plane Neurostar
- Siemen's Single-Plane Angiostar and Multistar
- Mini-vascular Room (currently under construction)
Interventional procedures include, but are not limited to:
- Peripheral, abdominal, and thoracic angiography
- Angioplasty, and stenting of vascular lesions,
- Embolization of uterine fibroids/arteries, vascular anomalies and bleeds
- Drainage of abscesses and abnormal fluid collections
- Vascular access procedures (ports, dialysis catheters, PICC lines, etc)
- Dialysis access evaluation and intervention
- Radio frequency ablation of select tumors, and
Procedures performed by Neuro-Radiology include:
- Cerebral/carotid/spinal angiography
- Embolizations of cerebral/spinal tumors and AVM's
- Treatment of neuro-vascular lesions including aneurysms coiling