Maternal mortality remains an important public health concern, even though it is a rare event. This teaching case introduces five case reports of maternal death to provide a clinical lead into discussions about data sources, such as death certificates, and their limitations.
The students will also calculate maternal mortality rates and explore racial disparities in this health indicator. Finally, the students will develop intervention strategies to identify and prevent maternal mortality.
- Define maternal death (pregnancy-related and pregnancy associated maternal death
- Accurately report "cause of death" using ICD-10 codes
- Describe limitations in data sources, using death certificates as an example
- Calculate maternal mortality rates to determine racial disparities
- Describe the health status of a population using these rates
- Develop intervention strategies to identify and prevent maternal deaths