Community Health Assessment
Community health assessment is key to understanding the health problems and priorities of a population. This case outlines a process by which the participants can complete a health assessment of a community using indicator-based methods.
Students construct a set of health indicators from a variety of domains, evaluate problems and report on the health priorities for a community. The students relate identified health issues to underlying behavioral risk factors.
- Perform a community health assessment
- Identify sources and limitations of population based data
- Select and appraise the utility of standards including Healthy People 2010
- Identify specific health indicators to assess the health status of a community
- Describe the priority health issues of a community
- Relate priority health issues to behavioral, social, and environmental health determinants
In collaboration with the clinical and research faculty of SUNY Upstate Medical University, the CRE will conduct research and execute data analyses designed to guide the improvement of patient care and associated patient outcomes.