Applying to Our Program
Thank you for your interest in applying to our residency program. Our program was visited by the ACGME Residency Review Committee and 2012 and we are proud to say that we have been accredited until 2023! With our continued accreditation, dynamic curriculum and high board pass rate, our program continues to seek the most promising psychiatry applicants through the National Resident Matching Program.
Deciding which programs to apply to can be very difficult! We wanted to share some additional perks about our program that might make a difference for you:
- 4 weeks of vacation/year
- Book & travel allowance
- Residents choose their own call
- 2 resident retreats/year
- Affordable city - Average rental costs $800 -$900/month
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Year 3 & 4 residents receive their own office
- Resident 'support' group meetings twice/week with lunch provided
- A variety of clinical sites, all within close proximity of main hospital
The number of ERAS applications we receive each year continues to rise. On average, we receive 1100 applications through the ERAS and that number continues to grow by 10 - 20% each year as our program continues to gain recognition. With that said, we closely adhere to the following criteria to screen our applicants:
- We accept applications only through ERAS.
- We prefer USMLE/COMLEX scores > 80 first attempt.
- Graduate of medical school within the last 5 years
- A passing score on the CS exam is desirable at the time of application, but not essential. You MUST pass the CS exam on the first attempt to be considered for an interview.
- ECFMG certification is required at the time of application.
- We prefer up to 3 - 4 letters of recommendation. If you are an FMG, at least one of the letters of recommendation must be from an American psychiatrist.
- US experience is desirable but not essential.
- Step 3 is not required at the time of application.
- We sponsor J-1 Visas; H-1 Visas at the discretion of the Program Director and Chair.
- Application deadline is December 15th.
- Interviews are conducted between October and mid-January.
- We will have openings for 11 incoming PGY-1 residents.
3 NRMP tracks:
1) Main Categorical Adult Psychiatry - 1516400CO
2) Rural Psych/Watertown - 1516400C1
3) Rural Psych/Binghatmon - 1516400C2