Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
Director: Brian Johnson, MD
There is a tremendous lack of addiction psychiatrists in the United States. The Department of Psychiatry has a one-year fellowship training program in Addiction Psychiatry. The program, which begins in July 2010, provides in-depth, balanced experience in didactics, clinical experience and research in Addiction at a PGY5 level.
Addiction is one of the most exciting areas in medicine because of its border position. It is on the border of psychiatry and medicine. It is on the border of psychoanalysis and neuroscience. Fellows on this elective will work with complexly ill patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings, providing both consultation and direct patient care. You will get a firm grounding in 12 Step Recovery Programs and attend Alcoholics Anonymous during your training experience where you will be immersed in the recovery culture.
Neuropsychoanalysis is the focus of Addiction Psychiatry Service. The staff of the service has special training in brain mechanisms of addiction, and how this knowledge can be combined with other state of the art modalities of psychotherapy to aid patients to enter a process of recovery.
Areas of Study
Through teaching, experience and supervision, fellows learn the fundamental principles of addiction psychiatry.
You would become a master of the field by participating in the following activities:
- Outpatient detoxification in the Day Treatment Program
- Psychotherapy of addicted patients
- Supervision of residents and medical students at Commonwealth Place Addiction Rehabilitation and Crouse Hospital Chemical Dependency Addiction Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic
- Weekly attendance at Methadone Maintenance rounds coordinating shared cases and starting your own Buprenorphine Maintenance program if you would like
- Attending and presenting at the academic conferences at Day Treatment and Commonwealth Place
- Working with the Director on special projects in adolescent addiction, pain, and prescription drug abuse
Clinical Training Sites
- Crouse Hospital Outpatient Addiction Psychiatry
- Methadone Program, Crouse Chemical Dependency Treatment Services
- Commonwealth Place Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
- Outpatient Detoxification at Crouse Hospital Day Treatment Program
Adekola O. Alao, MD
Thomas Falci, MD
Robert Gregory, MD
Brian Johnson, MD
Janet Mark, MD