Clinical Training Program

Both first and second year fellows participate in Child Rounds, Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, and Journal Club.

First Year

  • Total of three months (80% time) working on the child and adolescent inpatient units at Hutchings Psychiatric Center. The remaining 20% is spent seeing patients in the Child & Adolescent Outpatient Clinic at the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and University Hospital.
  • The remaining nine months will be spent in the outpatient clinic (85% time) and 15% time distributed between an outpatient pediatric neurology clinic, Consultation Liaison Child Psychiatry services at University Hospital and Pediatric Evaluation, Consultation and Treatment Clinic at Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic.
  • All time for didactic lectures, supervision, child rounds, seminars and grand rounds is protected time during all inpatient, outpatient and off sight work experiences.

Second Year

The emphasis of the second year of training is on outpatient treatment.

  • Residents will spend 60% of their time throughout the year seeing children and families in the Child & Adolescent Outpatient Clinical the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and University Hospital
  • Additional rotations during the 2nd year include:
  • Cedar Street Day Treatment Center (10%)
  • Consultation/Liaison Service at University Hospital (10%)
  • Margaret Williams Developmental Evaluation Center (3%)
  • Elmcrest Children's Residential Treatment Center (5%)
  • School Consultation (3%)
  • Elective of choice (9%)
  • All Second Year Residents will spend four months as the Chief Fellow.

Didactics offered throughout the two years of training include, but not limited to:

  • Clinical Assessment and Evaluation
  • Normal Development
  • Observation of the Normal Child
  • Family Systems Therapy
  • Family of Origin Seminar
  • Cognitive Development
  • Child Abuse and Maltreatment Reporting
  • Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy
  • Child & Adolescent Psychopharmacology
  • Child & Adolescent Psychopathology
  • Behavioral Genetics and Molecular Biology
  • Eating Disorders Seminar
  • Fellows as Educators
  • Legal and Ethical issues in child psychiatry
  • Infant Psychiatry
  • Mock Boards and PRITE Review
  • Learning Disabilities and Development
  • Neurology
  • Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency
  • Sexuality and Gender Identity Disorders
  • Psychological Testing
  • Forensic Psychiatry
  • Administrative psychiatry
  • School Consultation
  • Religion and Psychiatry
  • American culture and psychiatry