Juntao Luo, PhD
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
Research Programs and Affiliations
- Biomedical Sciences Program
- Cancer Research Institute
Education & Fellowships
- PhD: NanKai University, China, 2003, Polymer Chemistry and Physics
- BS: NanKai University, China, 1998, Chemistry
- University of California at Davis, 2008–2011
Nanomedicine, drug delivery, cancer imaging and cancer treatment; gene delivery and gene therapy, protein/peptide delivery. biomaterials in tissue engineering; combinatorial chemistry and drug discovery; High throughput screening; microarrays.
Languages Spoken (Other Than English)
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)
A versatile nanocarrier for in vivo tumor-targeted drug delivery: We have developed a novel biocompatible amphiphilic linear-dendritic co-polymer (named telodendrimer), using biocompatible PEG and bio-sourced cholic acid and lysine as building blocks. It can self-assemble into micelles in aqueous solution for the encapsulation of hydrophobic drugs, such as paclitaxel (PTX) and doxorubicin (DOX) with superior drug loading capacity and stability, which is due to the unique facial amphiphilicity of cholic acid. The stepwise peptide chemistry allow for the modular design of telodendrimers and precise control of the density and sites of the functional group. The Multi-functionality feature of telodendrimers allows for the decoration of micelle nanoparticles with targeting molecules, imaging probes, and reactive functional groups for micelle crosslinking. This nanotherapeutic is able to target tumor in animal models effectively via both passive enhanced permeability and retention (EPR) effect and active tumor targeting (via ligand decoration). As shown in our recent publications, PTX and DOX loaded in this nanocarrier have exhibited superior anticancer effects in animal models over their clinical formulations. Currently, our research interests are focusing the de novo design of nanocarrier via the aid of computational approaches (MD simulation, molecular docking) and systematic evaluation and optimization of nanocarriers via combinatorial synthesis for the efficient delivery of various hydrophobic anticancer drugs. In addition, our recent studies demonstrated that telodendrimers could also self-assemble into core-inversed micelles (CIMs) selectively in some apolar solvents. CIMs have a hydrophilic core for hydrophilic molecule encapsulation. CIMs can be crosslinked and easily extracted into aqueous solution with payloads encapsulated for intracellular delivery of hydrophilic drugs, such as small molecules, peptides and proteins. Furthermore, positively charged amines can be introduced into the adjacent sites of telodendrimer to form micelles with the segregated domains for the co-delivery of gene molecules and hydrophobic drugs for the combination cancer therapy.
Position openings: Postdoctoral fellows; graduate research assistants; exchange students
Position Description: Multiple positions are available in the multi-disciplinary research programs in Nanomedicine, drug discovery, cancer treatment and tissue engineering, specifically in the areas of: (1) polymeric nanocarrier design and synthesis for drug/protein/gene delivery; (2) Bio-evaluation of nanotherapeutics in cellular level and in animal models; Attractive salary & benefits plus excellent research and living environment in Syracuse, NY.
Qualification of candidates: Applicants with the strong background in polymer chemistry, medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutical science, pharmacology
/toxicology or biology are welcomed to apply. The specific experience in polymer design and synthesis, organic synthesis, drug/gene/protein delivery, PK/PD and toxicity evaluation of nanotherapeutics and cancer treatment experience in animal models are strongly encouraged to apply.
1. Luo, Juntao; Shi, Changying; Huang, Wenzhe; Shao, Yu. Telodendrimers and Nanocarriers and Methods of Using Same, (2013) U.S. Pat. Appl. No. 13/972,539
2. Luo, Juntao; Lam, Kit S., Telodendrimers to enhance drug delivery and to decrease hemolysis. (2013), WO2013096388 A1; PCT/US2012/070508
3. Luo, Juntao; He, Wei; Lam, Kit S.; Coleman, Matthew; Apolipoprotein nanodiscs with telodendrimers. (2012) PCT/US13/719,785
4. Lam, Kit S.; Luo, Juntao; Lee, Joyce S.; Telodendrimer nanodiscs without apolipoprotein (2012) PCT/US13/719,766
5. Lam, Kit S.; Li, Yuanpei; Luo, Juntao; Xiao, Kai; Reversibly crosslinked micelle systems for drug delivery. PCT Int. Appl. (2012), WO 2012158622 A2 20121122.
6. Oniok, Ekama; Lam, Kit S.; Luo, Juntao; A novel hydrogel for 3D cell culture, PCT Int. Appl. (2010), 52pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2010148346 A2 20101223 CAN 154:59448 AN 2010:1604946
7. Luo, Juntao; Lam, Kit S. Nanocarriers for drug delivery, PCT Int. Appl. (2010), 99 pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2010039496 A2 20100408 CAN 152:463123 AN 2010:439663
8. Zhu, X. X.; Luo, Juntao; Giguere, Guillaume, Amphiphilic polymers having a cholane core. PCT Int. Appl. 2009, CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2009092151 A1 20090730 AN 2009:916430
9. Zhu, X. X.; Luo, Juntao; Lubell, William D.; Pardin, Christophe; Poly(vinyl alcohol) polymers, uses and preparation thereof, PCT Int. Appl. 2007, 110pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2007143848 A1 20071221 CAN 148:79516 AN 2007:1454811.
1. Changying Shi, Dekai Yuan, Shikha Nangia, Gaofei Xu, Dandan Guo, Kit S. Lam, Juntao Luo* Structure-property relationships study of a well-defined telodendrimer to improve the hemocompatibility of nanocarriers for anticancer drug delivery. 2014, submitted
2. Yu Shao, Changying Shi, Gaofei Xu, Dandan Guo, Yun Ling, Juntao Luo* A photo and redox dual responsive reversibly crosslinked nanocarrier for efficient tumor-targeted drug delivery. 2014, submitted
3. Wenzhe Huang, Changying Shi, Yu Shao, Kit S. Lam and Juntao Luo* The Core-Inversible Micelles for Hydrophilic Drug Delivery Chemical Communications, 2013, 49, 6674-6676.
4. He W, Luo J, Bourguet F, Xing L, Yi SK, Gao T, Blanchetter C, Henderson PT, Kuhn E, Malfatti M, Murphy WJ, Cheng RH, Lam KS, Coleman MA. Controlling the diameter, monodispersity, and solubility of ApoA1 nanolipoprotein particles using telodendrimer chemistry. Protein Sci. 2013, 22 (8), 1078-1086.
5. Kenyon NJ, Bratt JM, Lee J, Luo J, Franzi LM, Zeki AA, and Lam KS. Self-ssembling nanoparticles contiqning dexamethasone as a novel therapy in allergic airway inflammation. PLOS ONE 2013, 8(10), e77730.
6. Sun, Yung-Shin; Fei, Yiyan;‡ Luo, Juntao; ‡ Dixon, Seth; Landry, James P.; Lam, Kit S.; Zhu, X.D.; Generating Small Molecule Microarrays from One-Bead One-Compound Synthetic Compound Libraries for Label-Free Detection and Discovery of Small Molecule Ligands against Protein Targets, Synthetic Communication, 2013, DOI:10.1080/00397911.2013.840728
7. Sun, Y.-S., Luo, J., Lam, K.S. & Zhu, X.D. Detection of formation of and disintegration of micelles by oblique-incidence reflectivity difrrence microscopy. Instrumentation Science & Technology 2013, 41, 545-555.
8. Shao, Y., Huang, W., Shi, C., Atkinson, S.T. & Luo, J.* Reversibly crosslinked nanocarriers for on-demand drug delivery in cancer treatment. Therapeutic Delivery 3, 1409-1427 (2012).
9. Yuanpei Li, Madhu S. Budamagunta, Juntao Luo, Wenwu Xiao, John C. Voss, and Kit S. Lam, Probing of the Assembly Structure and Dynamics within Nanoparticles during Interaction with Blood Proteins. ACS Nano, 2012, 6 (11), 9485–9495
10. Tzu-yin Lin, Yuan-Pei Li, Hongyong Zhang, Juntao Luo, Neal Goodwin, Tingjuan Gao, Ralph de Vere White, Kit S Lam, and Chong-Xian Pan Tumor-targeting multifunctional micelles for imaging and chemotherapy of advanced bladder cancer. Nanomedicine, 2012, doi: 10.2217/nnm.12.150
11. Wenwu Xiao, Juntao Luo*, Paul Henderson,Tessta Jain, John Wriggs, Harry Tseng, Kit S Lam*, The distribution profile of a polymer nanomicelle and loaded chemotherapy drug on mouse ovarian cancer xenograft model, International Journal of Nanomedicine, 2012, 7: 1587–1597. (*corresponding author)
12. Xiao, Kai; Li, Yuanpei; Lee, Joyce S.; Gonik, Abby M.; Dong, Tiffany; Fung, Gabriel; Sanchez, Eduardo; Xing, Li; Cheng, Holland R.; Luo, Juntao*; Lam, Kit S.* “OA02” Peptide Facilitates the Precise Targeting of Paclitaxel-Loaded Micellar Nanoparticles to Ovarian Cancer In Vivo, Cancer Research, 2012, 72, 2100-2010. (*corresponding author)
13. Li, Yuanpei; Xiao, Wenwu; Xiao, Kai; Lorenzo Berti; Luo, Juntao*; Harry P. Tseng; Gabriel Fung; Lam, Kit S.* Well-Defined, Reversible Boronate Crosslinked Nanocarriers for Targeted Drug Delivery in Response to pH and cis-Diols, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51(12), 2864-2869. (*corresponding author)
…………This work was highlighted as the Most Important Paper (MIP) in the Inside Back Cover of the Week in Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2012, 51(12), 3027. This research was highlighted as a short news story in Therapeutic Delivery 2012, 3(3), 303-306……………………………………………………..…
14. Zhang, Hongyong; Luo, Juntao; Li, Yuanpei; Henderson, Paul T.; Wang, Yanchun; Wachsmann-Hogiu, Sebastian; Zhao, Weixin; Lam, Kit S.; Pan, Chong-xian Characterization of high-affinity peptides and their feasibility for use in nanotherapeutics targeting leukemia stem cells, Nanomedicine, 2012, 8(7):1116-24
15. Lin, Tzu-yin; Zhang, Hongyong; Luo, Juntao; Li, Yuanpei; Gao, Tingjuan; White, Ralph de Vere; Lam, Kit S; Pan, Chong-Xian; Multifunctional Targeting Micelle Nanocarriers with both imaging and therapeutic potentials for bladder cancer, International Journal of Nanodmedicine, 2012, 7:2793-804
16. Xiao, Kai; Luo, Juntao*; Li, Yuanpei; Lee, Joyce S.; Gonik, Abby M.; Fung, Gabriel; Lam, Kit S.* PEG-oligocholic acid telodendrimer micelles for the targeted delivery of doxorubicin to B-cell lymphoma, Journal of Controlled Release, 2011, 155(2), 272-281. (*corresponding author)
17. Li, Yuanpei; Xiao, Kai; Luo, Juntao*; Xiao, Wenwu; Lee, Joyce S.; Gonik, Abby M.; Kato, Jason; Dong, Tiffany; Lam, Kit S.* Well-defined, Reversible Disulfide Cross-linked Micelles for On-demand Paclitaxel Delivery, Biomaterials, 2011, 32(27), 6633-6645.(*corresponding author)
18. Xiao, Kai; Li, Yuanpei; Luo, Juntao*; Xiao, Wenwu; Lee, Joyce S.; Gonik, Abby M.; Agarwal, Rinki; Lam, Kit S.* The effect of surface charge on in vivo biodistribution of PEG-oligocholic acid based micellar nanoparticles, Biomaterials, 2011, 32(13), 3435-3446. (*corresponding author)
19. Shi, Lifang; Riechers, Shawn L.; Fleming, Christopher J.; Yin, Nai-Ning; Luo, Juntao; Lam, Kit S.; Liu, Gang-yu* High-resolution imaging of drug carrying vehicles via Scanning Probe Microscopy, Journal of Drug Delivery, 2011, 2011:254095.
20. Zhang, Jiawei; Junk, Matthias; Luo, Juntao; Hinderberger, Dariush; Zhu, Julian X. X.* 1,2,3-Triazole-containing Molecular Pockets Derived from Cholic Acid: The Influence of Structure on Host-Guest Coordination, Langmuir, 2010, 26(16), 13415-13421.
21. Xiao, Kai; Luo, Juntao*; Li, Yuanpei; Xiao, Wenwu; Lee, Joyce S.; Gonik, Abby M.; Lam, Kit S.* The passive targeting of polymeric micelles in various types and sizes of tumor models, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, 2010, 2(2), 79-85. (*corresponding author)
22. Xiao, Wenwu; Wang, Yan; Lau, Edmond; Luo, Juntao; Yao, Nianhuan; Shi, Changying; Meza, Leah; Tseng, Harry; Maeda, Yoshiko; Kumaresan, Pappanaicken; Liu, Ruiwu; Lightstone, Felice; Takada, Yoshikazu; Lam, Kit S. The use of One-Bead One-Compound combinatorial library technology to discover high-affinity αvβ3 integrin and cancer targeting RGD ligands with a build-in handle, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2010, 9(10), 2714-2723.
23. Luo, Juntao*; Xiao, Kai; Li, Yuanpei; Lee, Joyce; Shi, Lifang; Tan, Yih-Horng; Xing, Li; Cheng, Holland; Liu, Gang-yu; Lam, Kit S.*; A well-defined, size-tunable nanocarrier for efficient anti-cancer drug delivery, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2010, 21(7), 1216–1224 (*corresponding author).
24. Li, Yuanpei; Xiao, Kai; Luo, Juntao; Lee, Joyce; Pan, Shirong, Lam, Kit S. A novel size-tunable nanocarrier system for targeted anticancer drug delivery, Journal of Controlled Release, 2010, 144, 314-323.
25. Fei, Yi-Yan; Landry, James P.; Sun, Yung-Shin; Zhu, Xiang-Dong; Wang, Xiao-Bing; Luo, Jun-Tao; Wu, Chun-Yi; Lam, Kit S. Screening small-molecule compound microarrays for protein ligands without fluorescence labeling with a high-throughput scanning microscope. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2010, 15(1), 016018/1-016018/8
26. Wang, Yujuan; Therien-Aubin, Héloïse; Baille, Wilms; Luo, Juntao; Zhu, X.X., Effect of Molecular Architecture on the Self-Diffusion of Polymers in Aqueous Systems: A Comparison of Linear, Star, and Dendritic Poly(ethylene glycol)s, Polymer, 2010, 51, 2345-2350.
27. Despa, Florin; Luo, Juntao; Lam, Kit S. Water Trapped Inside Cholic Acid Micelles - Controlling the Size of the Aqueous Cavity by PEGylation, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2010, 12, 1589 - 1594.
28. Zhang, Jiawei; Luo, Juntao; Zhu, Julian X. X.; Junk, Matthias; Hinderberger, Dariush; Molecular Pockets Derived from Cholic Acid as Chemosensors for Metal Ions, Langmuir, 2010, 26(4), 2958-2962.
29. Xiao, Kai; Luo, Juntao*; Fowler, Wiley; Li, Yuanpei; Lee, Joyce; Xing, Li; Holland R. Cheng; Wang, Li; Lam, Kit S.* A novel self-assembling nanoparticle for paclitaxel delivery in ovarian cancer treatment, Biomaterials, 2009, 30 (30), 6006-6016. (*corresponding author)
30. Luo, Juntao; Chen, Yilong; Zhu, X. X. Invertible Amphiphilic Molecular Pockets Made of Cholic Acid, Langmuir, 2009, 25 (18), 10913–10917.
31. Sun, Yongxin; Landry, James P.; Fei, Yiyan; Zhu, Xiangdong; Luo, Juntao; Wang, Xiaobing; Lam, Kit S.; Macromolecular scaffolds for immobilizing small molecule microarrays in label-free detection of protein-ligand interactions on solid support, Analytical Chemistry, 2009. 81(13), 5373-5380. (first author from Chemistry group)
32. Luo, Juntao; Onofiok, Ekama; Shi, Changying; Liu, Ruiwu; Lam, Kit S A novel hydrogel functionalized with specific peptidomimetic ligands for 2-D and 3-D cell culture. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 2009, 611, 19-20.
33. Luo, Juntao; Giguere, Guillaume; Zhu, X. X. Preparation and Characterization of Asymmetric Poly(Ethylene Oxide) Star Polymers with a Cholane Core. Biomacromolecules, 2009, 10(4), 900-906.
34. Sun, Yung-Shin; Fei,Yi Yan; Landry, James P.; Luo, Juntao; Wang, Xiaobing; Lam, Kit S. Effect of Fluorescently Labeling Protein Probes on Kinetics of Protein-Ligand Reactions, Langmuir, 2008, 24, 1399-13405. (first author from Chemistry group)
35. Luo, Juntao; Zhang, Hongyong; Xiao, Wenwu; Kumaresan, Pappanaicken R.; Shi, Changying; Pan, Chong-xian; Aina, Olulanu H.; Lam, Kit S. Rainbow Beads: a Color Coding Method Accelerating High-throughput Screening in Combinatorial Chemistry, J. Comb. Chem. 2008, 10, 599-604.
36. Kumaresan, Pappanaicken R.; Luo, Juntao; Song, Aimin; Marik, Jan; Lam,Kit S. Evaluation of ketone-oxime conjugation method for developing diagnostic and therapeutic immuneconjugates Bioconjugate. Chem. 2008, 19, 1313-1318.
37. Fei,Yi Yan; Landry, James P.; Sun, Yung-Shin; Luo, Juntao; Wang, Xiaobing; Lam, Kit S. A novel high-throughput scanning microscope for label-free detection of protein and small-molecule chemical microarray, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 2008, 79, 013708. (first author from Chemistry group)
38. Chen, Yilong; Luo, Juntao; Zhu, X. X. Fluorescence Study of Inclusion Complexes between Star-shaped Cholic Acid Derivatives and Polycyclic Aromatic Fluorescence Probes and the Size Effects of Host and Guest Molecules, J. Phys. Chem. B. 2008, 112, 3402-3409.
39. Cao, Ya; Zhu, X. X.; Luo, Juntao; Liu, Huiyou, Effects of Substitution Groups on the RAFT Polymerization of N-Alkylacrylamides in the Preparation of Block Copolymers, Macromolecules, 2007, 18, 6481-6488.
40. Luo, Juntao; Chen, Yilong; Zhu, X. X. Highly Efficient Synthesis and Inclusion Properties of Star-Shaped Amphiphilic Derivatives of Cholic Acid, Synlett. 2007, 14, 2201-2204.
41. Luo, Juntao; Pardin, Christophe; Lubell, Zhu, X. X.; William D. Preparation, Characterization and application of Poly(ethylene glycol)–grafted-poly(vinyl alcohol) resin, Novel polymer matrix for solid-phase synthesis J. Comb. Chem. 2007, 9, 582-591.
42. Luo, Juntao; Pardin, Christophe; Lubell, William D.; Zhu, X. X. Poly(ethylene glycol) grafted poly(vinyl alcohol) resin and their use in solid-phase synthesis and supported TEMPO Catalyst, Chem. Commun., 2007, 2136-2138
43. Zhu, X. X.; Zhang, Junhua; Gauthier, Marc; Luo, Juntao; Meng, Fansheng; F. Large uniform-sized polymer beads for use as solid phase supports prepared by ascending polymerization, J. Comb. Chem., 2006, 8, 79-84.
44. Wang, Zheng; Luo, Juntao; Zhu, X.X.; Jin, Shujuan; Tomaszewski, Mirosław J.; Functionalized Cross-Linked Poly(vinyl alcohol) Resins as Reaction Scavengers and as Supports for Solid-Phase Organic Synthesis, J. Comb. Chem., 2004, 6(6), 961-966.
45. Gauthier, M. A.; Luo, Juntao; Calvet, D.; Ni, C.; Zhu, X. X.; Garon, M.; Buschmann, M. D. Degree of crosslinking and mechanical properties of crosslinked poly(vinyl alcohol) beads for use in solid-phase organic synthesis, Polymer 2004, 45(24), 8201-8210.
46. Luo, Juntao; Huang, Wenqiang; A new strategy for solid phase synthesis of a secondary amide library using sulfonamide linker via radical traceless cleavage, Molecular Diversity, 2003(6), 1, 33-41.