[Skip to Content]

Halloween Safety Tips in 2019

Kids trick or treating on Halloween.

It’s October and Halloween is just around the corner! Time to start thinking about keeping your favorite trick-or-treaters safe.

  1. Candy: Check every item carefully for potential tampering before the child is allowed to eat it. Only treats in their original intact wrappers should be eaten. Fruit, such as apples, need to be washed thoroughly and cut into small pieces before being given to children. Discard homemade treats if you do not know the person who gave them to your child.
  2. Makeup: Is considered to be non-toxic, but may cause irritation or an allergic reaction to a child’s skin. If irritation or a rash occurs, wash the area well with soap and water and seek medical attention as needed.
  3. Flashing jewelry: They can contain tiny disc batteries that may cause injury if swallowed. If this happens, referral to an emergency room is indicated as well as close follow-up to be sure the battery passes.
  4. Glow jewelry: Remind kids not to chew or break them open. The liquid inside is considered minimally toxic in small amounts, but can cause skin irritation.

Our poison center receives numerous calls regarding exposures to glow sticks or necklaces. A glow stick contains the luminescent component, dibutyl phthalate. This tube also contains another tube that contains the activator component, dimethyl phthalate. When this tube is broken the activator mixes with the luminescent component and a chemical reaction occurs causing the glowing effect. Dibutyl phthalate is also used as a solvent for perfume oil, safety glass, printing inks, paper coatings, and adhesives. It has been used in nail polish, insect repellents, and solid rocket propellants.

Dibutyl phthalate is thought to have low acute toxicity based on animal studies, but contact with any body part may produce immediate stinging and burning sensations. Our poison center has seen oral irritation and occasionally seen blisters to the lips after a child has bitten a glow stick. Some parents have reported the child’s mouth has glowed in the dark. A splash to the eye can produce burning and irritation as well as excessive tearing.

Remember to wash out the mouth or eye with water for 15 minutes immediately after exposure. Ice chips and popsicles can be used for any continued oral burning sensation. If symptoms are prolonged, an evaluation of the exposed area should occur to check for burns. Most exposures do not result in significant injury.

Don’t forget to program your phone now with our number: 1-800-222-222. You never know when you might need us on Halloween night.

 

Top