News and Updates
McNeil Consumer Healthcare Over-The-Counter Products: Recall
McNeil and FDA notified healthcare professionals of an expansion of the December 2009 recall. McNeil Consumer Healthcare has now applied broader criteria to identify and remove all product lots that it believes may have the potential to be affected, even if they have not been the subject of consumer complaints. Consumers who purchased product from the lots included in this recall should stop using the product and contact McNeil Consumer Healthcare for instructions on a refund
Swine (H1N1) Flu in Onondaga County
Onondaga County Department of Health confirmed a single case of swine (H1N1) influenza at a press conference earlier today. For additional information, here is the website for Onondaga County Department of Health. http://www.ongov.net/Health/SwineFlu.html
Swine Influenza Outbreak Alert
In late March and early April 2009, human cases of swine influenza were reported in California and Texas. Swine influenza originated in Mexico. To date, there have been nearly 40 cases in the US in California, Texas and New York City.
New York State Department of Health Warns Residents NOT to eat Wild Mushrooms
After an increased number of exposures and poisoning due to mushrooms foraged from the wild this year, the Upstate New York Poison Center alerted the New York State Department of Health. The DOH has issued a press release warning New York State residents to not forage and eat wild mushrooms due to the risk of ingesting potentially poisonous mushrooms.
CDC Issues Alert on Ricin
A 57 year old male became ill with an unknown illness in Las Vegas. Days later, ricin was found in the hotel room where the man was staying. There is an investigation underway and it is unclear the connection between the ricin and the 57 year old male. CDC has issued a health advisory on ricin and more information can be found at: http://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/ricin/han_022008.asp
USDA Announces Beef Recall
The USDA announced the largest beef recall in history. An investigation against the Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company was initiated after allegations of inhumane handling of cattle. The recall extends for beef sold over a 2 year time frame.
Congratulations to Brenda Giardino, RN
Brenda Giardino, RN CSPI recently received her BSN from SUNY Utica-Rome. Congratulations Brenda!Posted on January 4, 2008
Annual Toxicology Teaching Day to be held on November 14, 2007
On Wednesday, November 14, 2007, the Upstate NY Poison Center, SUNY Upstate Medical University Department of Emergency Medicine Presents the 11th Annual Toxicology Teaching Day: A Contemporary Issues Symposium. It will take place at The Genesee Grande Hotel in Syracuse. For more information, contact Rose More (firstname.lastname@example.org)Posted on November 12, 2007
Consumer Product Safety Commission Announced a Voluntary Recall on Aqua Dots
On November 7, 2007, The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) Announced a Voluntary Recall of the product known as "Aqua Dots" due to the presence of a substance that is metabolized to GHB. GHB can cause coma and respiratory depression if ingested.
"Aquadots" containing GHB precursor recalled in Australia
Popular children's toy, known as Bindeez in Australia and Aquadots in the US, has been recalled in Australia. The product contains 1,4-butanediol and is metabolized to gamma-hydroxybutryate (GHB). GHB toxicity includes coma and respiratory depression.
Congratulations to Michelle Valerino, RN CSPI!
Congratulations to Michelle Valerino, RN CSPI!!! Michelle has successfully passed the American Association of Poison Centers, Certification Exam for Specialists in Poison Information. She has received the Certification of Certified Specialist in Poison Information. Congratulations, Shelly!Posted on July 13, 2007
Toothpaste Contaminated with Diethylene Glycol
The FDA reported yesterday that diethylene glycol has been found in certain toothpastes distributed from China. Diethylene glycol is a poisonous compound and has been the cause of many deaths most recently in Panama. Diethylene glycol causes kidney toxicity and nervous system toxicity. For a complete list of potentially contaminated toothpaste products, go to: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/toothpaste.html
FDA Warns About Contamination of Glycerin with Diethylene Glycol
Diethylene Glycol linked to Counterfeit Glycerin Imported from China to Panama
From China to Panama: counterfeit glycerin containing diethylene glycol resulting in numerous deaths in Panama.
WALSH SUCCESSFULLY FIGHTS ADMINISTRATION CUTS TO POISON CONTROL CENTERS NATIONWIDE
WALSH SUCCESSFULLY FIGHTS ADMINISTRATION CUTS TO POISON CONTROL CENTERS NATIONWIDE
Poison Center Celebrates 50 Years at Annual Proclamation Signing
The Upstate New York Poison Center is celebrating 50 years at the Annual Proclamation signing to be held at SUNY Upstate Medical University, Campus Activities Building, at 10:30 on March 19, 2007Posted on March 19, 2007
Tanker Explosion in Oneida, NY
There have been reports early this morning of a tanker explosion in Oneida, NY. The news is still breaking and there is little information. There are no reported injuries thus far.
Salmonella Linked to Peanut Butter
The FDA and CDC continue to investigate the multi-state outbreak of Salmonella linked to Peter Pan and Great Value Peanut Butter.
Salmonella Contamination of Peanut Butter
Investigations into the possible source of contamination of peanut butter are ongoing. This has been a multistate outbreak of salmonella poisoning. If you have any questions, call the Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 or your Local Health Department. If you are experiencing symptoms including fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea, contact your physician.
Pills Found at Chuck E Cheese
The Onondaga County Health Department and the Upstate New York Poison Center is warning parents about some medicine found at the Chuck E. Cheese in DeWitt. Health officials said an open bottle of Tylenol was found in the stage area.
Beware of Accidental Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Each year, there are greater than 500 accidental or unintentional deaths due to carbon monoxide. During periods of emergencies and power outages, carbon monoxide poisonings increase because of the use of generators and other alternative heating sources. For more information and prevention tips, go to the CDC's webpage at http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/cofacts.asp
Cyanokit(R) Approved by FDA for Cyanide Toxicity
The FDA approved a new antidote for cyanide toxicity on December 18, 2006. Cyanokit(R) contains hydroxocobalamin. For more information go to the FDA's website:
Holiday hazards in the home
SUNY Upstate Poison Center experts warn of hazards in homes decorated for the holidays.
Investigation into Litvinenko's death continues
The investigation into the former KGB spy, Alexander Litvinenko's death, continues to raise more questions. A post-mortem examination was performed on Litvinenko last week and he was buried in London today. The health status of people that he was in contact with prior to becoming ill remains in question. For more in depth information, go to:
2nd person tests positive for radiation
Mario Scaramella reportedly has tested positive for significant amounts of polonium-210, a radioactive substance, that has been linked to the cause of death of former KGB spy, Alexander Litvinenko.
Gail Banach, MSEd featured on the Today Show
Gail Banach, MSEd, Education Coordinator, of the Upstate New York Poison Center will be featured Live on the Today Show on Wednesday November 29, 2006. She will be representating the American Assocation of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) and discussing holiday poisons.Posted on November 28, 2006
Toxicology Testing and Results for Suicide Victims --- 13 States, 2004
MMWR reports Toxicology Testing and Results for Suicide Victims --- 13 States, 2004
Former Russian Spy, Alexander Litvinenko, Dies in a London Hospital
Former KGB Spy, Alexander Litvinenko, died on Thursday November 23, 2006 in a London Hospital after suffering multi-system organ failure from what doctors believed was secondary to thallium poisoning. After further testing, the cause of death has been determined to be secondary to polonium, a radioactive substance.
Tainted Medications in Panama Results in Deaths
At least 34 people have died in Panama since July 2006 as a result of contamination of common medications, including cough syrup, with diethylene glycol. Contamination with diethylene glycol has historically occurred and most recently in Haiti when acetaminophen was contaminated. Diethylene glycol is a toxic alcohol and causes renal toxicity and neurologic toxicity. For more information, go to the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/about/news/2006_10/panama.htmPosted on November 8, 2006