Seating Positioning and Mobility Program
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department of Upstate Hospital provides therapy services for individuals in need of alternate mobility, accessibility, transport and/or positioning systems. This service is designed to help you and/or your caregivers in obtaining the proper equipment to achieve your highest level of function.
Physical Therapy at IHP
Institute For Human Performance
1st Fl., 505 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map & direction
Phone: 315 464-6543
Fax: 315 464-4753
Hours: Mon. Wed. Fri. - 7am-4:30pm,
Tues. Thurs. - 7am-6pm
Our goal is to provide a complete approach to understanding the specific equipment available, to examine the physical functioning of the individual and choose equipment that will be best for the patient. The care team includes the patient, family, physician, therapists, and caregivers.
- An examination of your abilities and the barriers that limit you
- Discussion and demonstration of the specific equipment available to meet your needs
- Simulation of specific seating systems
- Knowledge of insurance information, assisting you in your equipment purchase
- Prescription and letter of medical necessity written to justifying the equipment required
- Assistance in obtaining an appropriate equipment vendor
- Unfinished and finished fitting determining successful intervention
- Follow-up services for additional needs
Our program may be suitable for patients with the following diagnoses:
A physician's referral is required for examination and treatment within this program.
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Neuromuscular disease
- Spina Bifida
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Any individual whose walking, mobility and/or positioning are limited to the extent that they cannot complete their daily activities